1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roller Coaster Physics- Determining the highest point's height

1. Mar 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b
    ]Here’s what you know: Mass is 750 Kg, Velocity is 20 m/s, Gravity remains at 10 m/s2 and Point B’s height is 15 m. Assume that Point A is the highest point and assume there is no friction for this problem.

Complete in the order that makes the best sense to you:
    Calculate the total energy at Point A and Point B. Determine Point A’s height.

2. Relevant equations

E= mgh + ½ mv2

3. The attempt at a solution

Energy at Point B: (+ 4 pts)
    E= mgh + ½ mv2
    E= (750) (10) (15) + 0
    E= 112500 J

I found the Ep for Point B. When I tried to work "backwards" by trying to find Point A's height by using Point B's Ep and height, I came up with a negative energy. I think there should be a way to use this known data to determine point A's height and Ep, but I can not figure it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF angelbonnet,

It's not clear what's going on in the problem. Does the roller coaster start at point A or at point B? At what point does it have the velocity of 20 m/s?

If you can clarify these points, we should be able to help.

4. Mar 13, 2012 #3
    Thank you, The roller coaster starts at point A and the velocity is for point B.

5. Mar 13, 2012 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, then your expression for the energy at point B is wrong, because you have not included the kinetic energy that the roller coaster has at point B due to its motion at 20 m/s.

Total energy is conserved, so the potential energy that the coaster loses in falling from point A to point B must be equal to the kinetic energy that it gains as a result.

You can use this fact to figure out what distance it must have fallen i.e. how much higher point A is than point B.

6. Mar 13, 2012 #5
    Thank you for the insights. I'll attempt it with these in mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook