Roller Coaster Problem with KE and PE

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a physics problem involving a car's potential and kinetic energy. The conversation includes a discussion on how to solve for parts D and E, as well as a confirmation on the method used for parts A, B, and C. The work energy rule is also mentioned in relation to the problem.
chris61986

Homework Statement

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/92857534/physicsproblem.png

Note: Solving for part D and E

Homework Equations

Unsure. Langauge in the problem seems ambiguous.
Perhaps (KE + PE)b = (KE + PE)a

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think it's done this way.

From A to B and B to C, the equation would look this way:
PEb + KEb = KEa + PEa
PEa = 0, move KEb to right side, left with:
PEb = KEa - KEb
so WGH = 1/2mv'^2 - 1/2mv^2

Am I going the right way about this? If so, where do I go from here when I don't know both velocities?
Also, for parts A, B, and C, it's simply W = mgΔh, correct? I'm not used to things being easy :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Work energy rule says that the increase in kinetic energy of a body is equal to work done on it.

Do you think you could be a little less cryptic?

Work done by gravity is equal to the increase in kinetic energy of the car. The same is the loss in potential energy. W = mgΔh is correct.
In second part I think potential energy is to be calculated at different points.

Yes, you are on the right track for solving parts D and E. The equation you have written is correct, and you can use it to solve for the final velocity, v'. To do this, you will need to know the initial velocity, v, and the values for the potential energy and kinetic energy at point B.

For parts A, B, and C, yes, you are correct. The work done by gravity is simply the change in potential energy, which is given by the equation W = mgh. Keep in mind that the change in height, Δh, may be different for each section of the roller coaster.

1. What is the "Roller Coaster Problem with KE and PE"?

The "Roller Coaster Problem with KE and PE" is a physics problem that involves calculating the kinetic energy (KE) and potential energy (PE) of a roller coaster at different points along its track.

2. Why is the "Roller Coaster Problem with KE and PE" important?

This problem is important because it helps us understand the relationship between KE and PE in a real-world scenario, and how they change as the roller coaster moves along its track. It also demonstrates the law of conservation of energy.

3. How do you calculate KE and PE in the "Roller Coaster Problem with KE and PE"?

To calculate KE, you use the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the roller coaster and v is its velocity. To calculate PE, you use the formula PE = m * g * h, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the roller coaster at that point.

4. What factors can affect the KE and PE in the "Roller Coaster Problem with KE and PE"?

The mass, velocity, and height of the roller coaster are the main factors that can affect KE and PE in this problem. Additionally, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also impact the energy of the roller coaster.

5. What can the "Roller Coaster Problem with KE and PE" teach us about real roller coasters?

The "Roller Coaster Problem with KE and PE" can teach us about the energy transformations that occur in a real roller coaster, as well as the importance of designing a track that balances KE and PE to provide a thrilling and safe ride. It also illustrates the concept of potential energy being converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.