Roller coaster velocity at the bottom of an incline

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
imatreyu
Messages
79
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A roller coaster starts its descent with an initial speed of 4 m/s. it moves through a distance of 135 ft (41.1 m) along an incline that makes an angle of 40 degrees with the horizontal. Neglect friction and find its speed at the bottom of the incline.

Homework Equations


See below. . .

The Attempt at a Solution



I have the answer, and a process:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9573/picture2la.png However, I don't understand how Fx can possibly equal mg sin40. I don't understand how to set up my coordinate axis so this is possible. I don't even know what Fx is supposed to represent any more. .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to find the component of the weight(mg) along the inclined plane ( mg*sinθ) and perpendicular to the inclined plane ( mg*cosθ). From that find the acceleration along the inclined plane.

Using the relevant equation find the velocity at the bottom.