Force of a Roller Coaster in a Vertical Loop

In summary, the roller coaster moves through a vertical loop at a constant speed and suspends its passengers upside down. The force that causes the coaster and its passengers to move in a circle is directed towards the center of the loop. This force is provided by the roller coaster itself, as it accelerates the passengers towards the center of the loop.
Unity

Homework Statement

A roller coaster moves through a vertical loop at a constant speed and suspends its passengers upside down. In what direction is the force that causes the coaster and its passengers to move in a circle? What provides this force?

The Attempt at a Solution

We started this chapter friday, so I'm not even sure where to start on this one. I thought that the force would be positive, and that the force of the roller coaster is what's providing the force...but I'm not confident that I'm answering it right at all. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Unity! :smile:

The direction and amount of the acceleration, a, is a matter of geometry, not phsyics, so find a first.

(and then use good ol' Newton's second law … Fnet = ma … to find Fnet)

I would like to clarify that the force that causes the roller coaster and its passengers to move in a circle is known as centripetal force. This force acts towards the center of the circle and is provided by the track of the roller coaster. The track exerts a normal force on the roller coaster and its passengers, which is directed towards the center of the loop. This normal force, combined with the velocity of the roller coaster, creates the necessary centripetal force to keep the roller coaster and its passengers moving in a circular path. It is important to note that this force is always changing in direction as the roller coaster moves through the loop, but its magnitude remains constant. This allows the roller coaster to maintain a constant speed throughout the loop. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

1. What is the force experienced by riders on a roller coaster in a vertical loop?

The force experienced by riders on a roller coaster in a vertical loop is a combination of centripetal force and gravitational force.

2. How is the force of a roller coaster in a vertical loop calculated?

The force of a roller coaster in a vertical loop can be calculated using the equation F = mv^2/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the riders, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the loop.

3. Does the force of a roller coaster in a vertical loop change for different loop sizes?

Yes, the force of a roller coaster in a vertical loop will vary depending on the size of the loop. A smaller loop will result in a higher force, while a larger loop will result in a lower force.

4. How does the speed of the roller coaster affect the force in a vertical loop?

The speed of the roller coaster plays a significant role in the force experienced by riders in a vertical loop. The higher the speed, the greater the centripetal force required to keep the riders on the loop, resulting in a higher force.

5. What factors can impact the force of a roller coaster in a vertical loop?

There are several factors that can impact the force of a roller coaster in a vertical loop, including the mass of the riders, the speed of the roller coaster, and the radius of the loop. Other factors like wind resistance and friction can also affect the force experienced by riders.