Rolling Ball and Proportionality Between Distance and Time

In summary: So x=43.33m.In summary, the ball traveled 43.33 meters during the first 6.0 seconds of its motion. This can be calculated by using the equations for distance and acceleration, and taking into account the information given about the ball's motion during the second 6.0 seconds.
rakeru

Homework Statement

A ball starts from rest and rolls down a hill with uniform acceleration, traveling 130m
render?expr=%7B%5Crm+m%7D.gif
during the second 6.0s
render?expr=%7B%5Crm+s%7D.gif
of its motion.
How far did it roll during the first 6.0s
render?expr=%7B%5Crm+s%7D.gif
of motion?

Homework Equations

I guess:

v=v(0)+at
v^2=v(0)^2+2ay
x=x(0)+v(0)t+0.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

O[/B]kay, if I am not mistaken, then the distance traveled by the ball is proportional to the square of the time passed.
d is proportional to t^2
I have tried so many answers already.
I have tried setting the second six seconds to be twice the time and then the distance is one fourth of 130m. That was wrong. I tried setting the time to twelve seconds. I have tried dividing the distance by two. If I set the time to be six seconds and the distance to be 130 meters, then I don't have the initial velocity. If I set the initial velocity to equal zero and then the time to be six seconds, I don't have the distance. I tried making the time proportional to the square root of the distance. I only have one more attempt, and this question threw me off because it gave me info about the second six seconds and not the first six seconds. If it were to ask me "How far did it go in twice this time?" then I would be able to answer it.

But I really cannot find this answer. I have tried 35 meters, 11 meters, 130 meters, 98 meters, 22 meters, 65 meters. Nope. I figure it must be less than 130 meters because the ball is accelerating down the incline and it would go faster every second because the velocity is increasing. Please help me. Please.

Physics news on Phys.org
the ball traveled 43.33 meters...
first of all, you use the equation delta x = v initial * time + 1/2 acceleration * t^2, time is 6 and delta x is 130 meter.
you get 130 = 6 v + 18 a

secondly, you use the formula acceleration = v initial - v final, NOTICE this equation is for the first 6 seconds, so the v initial starts off as zero and v final is the v initial in the first equation. plug in v initial is zero, time is 6.
you get a = v / 6

thirdly, you combine both equations by subbing in "a" from the second equation into the first equation.
you get 130 = 6 v + 18 (v/6)
you simply. V = 130 / 9

now you have the final velocity for the first 6 seconds. you use the equation v^2=v(0)^2+2ad where V is 130 / 9, v0 is zero since it starts from rest and a is v/6 which is 130 / 9 / 6.

you plug the number into the equation you get
(130/9)^2 = (0)^2 + 2 * (130 / 9 /6)*d
and you go the calculations to solve for distance which in my case is 43.33 if my calculator is not broken.

ops,, in the second step the formula is acceleration = (v initial - v final) / time

Thanks a lot. I didn't know it was so complicated. Thanks again.

It is much easier.

Let's call the distance it travels for the first 6 seconds x. As distance goes with time squared, after twice this time (so after 12 seconds) it traveled 4x. The difference between those two values is 3x, and we know it is equal to 130m...

What is the concept of rolling ball and proportionality between distance and time?

The concept of rolling ball and proportionality between distance and time is based on the relationship between the distance traveled by a rolling ball and the time it takes to cover that distance. This relationship is known as proportionality, meaning that as one variable (distance) increases, the other variable (time) also increases in a consistent manner.

How is proportionality between distance and time calculated?

Proportionality between distance and time is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to cover that distance. This results in a constant value, known as the proportionality constant, which remains the same regardless of the distance or time values used.

What factors affect the proportionality between distance and time for a rolling ball?

The proportionality between distance and time for a rolling ball can be affected by several factors such as the surface on which the ball is rolling, the shape and size of the ball, and the force applied to the ball. Friction and air resistance can also play a role in the proportionality relationship.

How does the slope of a line on a distance-time graph relate to proportionality between distance and time?

The slope of a line on a distance-time graph represents the rate of change of distance with respect to time. In the case of proportionality between distance and time, the slope of the line will always be a constant value, which is the proportionality constant. This means that the relationship between distance and time is consistent and proportional.

What are the practical applications of understanding proportionality between distance and time for a rolling ball?

Understanding the proportionality between distance and time for a rolling ball has several practical applications, such as predicting the time it will take for a ball to reach a certain distance, calculating the speed of a rolling ball, and designing experiments to study the effects of different factors on the rolling ball's motion.