1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling hoop hit with impulse. Find angle of deflection and max force.

1. Jul 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A child's hoop of mass [itex]M[/itex] and radius [itex]b[/itex] rolls in a straight line with velocity [itex]v[/itex]. Its top is given a light tap with a stick at right angles to the direction of motion. The Impulse of the blow is [itex]I[/itex].

a. Show that this results in a deflection of the line of rolling by angle [itex]\phi = I/Mv [/itex], assuming that the gyroscope approximation holds and neglecting friction with the ground.

b. Show that the gyroscope approximation is valid provided [itex] F << \dfrac{2Mv^2}{b}[/itex], where F is the peak applied force.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know for sure the direction of the impulse but assuming it is to the side, that would be the 'angular impulse' would be [itex]Ib[/itex] in the direction perpendicular to the angular momentum [itex]Mbv[/itex] of the wheel, so [itex]\tan\phi = Ib/Mbv = I/Mv ≈ \phi [/itex]. The last part using the small angle approximation.

For b. I would assume that since [itex]\phi << 1[/itex], therefore [itex] Fdt << Mv [/itex].

I don't know if any of my attempt is correct.

Edit: if instead I approximate the impulse by a triangle height [itex]F[/itex] and base [itex] dt [/itex], then the impulse would be [itex]\dfrac{Fdt}{2}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2014 #2
  4. Jul 22, 2014 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For part a, I think your work is correct.

For part b, you need to find the meaning of the phrase "gyroscope approximation". I don't think it means ##\phi << 1##. If this is not defined in your text or notes, then try a web search.

5. Jul 23, 2014 #4
    Ok so I checked online as it isn't in my book and it means [itex]\Omega << \omega [/itex] and that they are nearly constant. If I use my expression for impulse along with [itex]\phi << \omega dt = \dfrac{v}{b}dt [/itex] then I get the right answer.

Thanks for the tip and I hope this is correct.

6. Jul 23, 2014 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, good. I think that's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted