Room Temp Super Conductor: Break Out the Champagne?

hutchphd
Science Advisor

Summary:

Here we report superconductivity in a photochemically transformed carbonaceous sulfur hydride system, starting from elemental precursors, with a maximum superconducting transition temperature of 287.7 ± 1.2 kelvin (about 15 degrees Celsius) achieved at 267 ± 10 gigapascals.
Summary is from abstract in Nature.
Anybody know whether this is a big deal ?. It looks technically challenging (very high pressure) but great oaks from little acorns. I'm not current in superconductivity.🔎....

Likes berkeman and etotheipi

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
This looks better than the silver superconductors of past years.

It has been known for a long time that there exist substances that superconduct only at high pressure. Some superconductors, like YBCO, were discovered by taking an existing superconductor and doing a substitution that squeezes the structure: for example, Y for La in LBCO. Essentially, this is pressure induced by chemical processes.

This work moves the bar incrementally from LaH10, at 250C and 170 GPa.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi, hutchphd and berkeman
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
@ZapperZ knows much more about superconductivity than I do. Maybe he can jump in.

This is H2S-based and H2S is just weird.

Likes hutchphd
dRic2
Gold Member
My thesis supervisor says it is a big deal. From what I understood recently people are trying to increase the critical temperature by adding hydrogen to various type of alloys (and it was experimentally confirmed that even at 1 atm, you can increase ##T_c## of some materials by adding H). So this gives hope to achieve higher temperatures (while working at lower pressure) by just doping the right material with hydrogen. This is what I understood.

Likes hutchphd and Lord Crc
This looks better than the silver superconductors of past years.

It has been known for a long time that there exist substances that superconduct only at high pressure. Some superconductors, like YBCO, were discovered by taking an existing superconductor and doing a substitution that squeezes the structure: for example, Y for La in LBCO. Essentially, this is pressure induced by chemical processes.

This work moves the bar incrementally from LaH10, at 250C and 170 GPa.
"Squeeze the structure"; isn't Lanthanum a bigger ion than Yttrium? And even larger cations like Bismuth and Lead have been in recent Lit.