Root-mean-square speed of an O2 gas

• Thread starter format1998
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Speed
In summary, the problem involves finding the rms speed (vrms) of O2 gas with a quantity of 0.280 mol, a pressure of 3.50 atm, and a volume of 1.93 L. Using the ideal gas law, the temperature is calculated to be 294 K. Then, using the formula for vrms, the value is found to be 1.166 * 10-9 m/s. However, after checking the value of R and using the mass of one molecule of O2, the correct answer is 478 m/s. It is important to be careful with the use of 'm' as it can refer to the total mass of gas, the mass of one mole, or
format1998

Homework Statement

0.280 mol of O2 gas is at a pressure of 3.50 atm and has a volume of 1.93 L.
What is the rms speed (vrms) of the gas molecules?

O2 gas
n = 0.280 mol @ 32 g/mol m = 0.00896 kg
P = 3.50 atm
V = 1.93 L

Homework Equations

PV=nRT -> T = PV/nR

vrms=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{3kT}{m}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

T=[itex]\frac{PV}{nR}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{(3.5 atm * 1.93 L)}{.28 mol (0.0821 \frac{L*atm}{mol*K})}[/itex] = 294 K

vrms=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{3kT}{m}}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{3(1.38E-23 J/K)(294K)}{0.00896 kg}}[/itex] = 1.166 * 10-9 m/s

According to the answer key, the answer is 478 m/s. What am I doing wrong?

Please help! Thank you in advance. Any and all help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the value of R.
I think that R = 0.0831using your units for R.

format1998 said:
vrms=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{3kT}{m}}[/itex]

Also I think that the 'm' in the above formula is the mass of ONE MOLECULE.

R = 0.0821 [itex]\frac{L*atm}{mol*K}[/itex]
is the value that is on the book and other tables I found on the net

Using the mass of one molecule of O2 gave me 479 m/s. One digit off but I'll take it or maybe I'm still doing something wrong??

Thank you

Sorry. Your value of R is Ok in the units you are using. So i think that your mistake was in m.

One has to be extra careful in this topic because 'm' may stand for 'total mass of gas' or 'mass of one mole' or 'mass of one molecule'.

What is the root-mean-square speed of an O2 gas?

The root-mean-square speed of an O2 gas is a measure of the average speed of the gas molecules in a sample. It takes into account both the speed and direction of the molecules.

How is the root-mean-square speed of an O2 gas calculated?

The root-mean-square speed of an O2 gas can be calculated using the formula:
vrms = √(3RT/M), where vrms is the root-mean-square speed, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of O2 gas.

What factors affect the root-mean-square speed of an O2 gas?

The root-mean-square speed of an O2 gas is affected by temperature and molar mass. As temperature increases, the speed of the gas molecules also increases. A higher molar mass will result in a lower root-mean-square speed.

What is the significance of the root-mean-square speed of an O2 gas?

The root-mean-square speed of an O2 gas is an important concept in understanding the behavior of gases. It helps to determine the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules, which is related to properties such as pressure and temperature.

How does the root-mean-square speed of an O2 gas compare to other gases?

The root-mean-square speed of an O2 gas is dependent on the molar mass of the gas. Therefore, it will be different for different gases. Generally, lighter gases will have a higher root-mean-square speed compared to heavier gases at the same temperature.