1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done isothermal, adiabatic ideal gas

1. Feb 20, 2015 #1
    Problem statement, work done, and relevant equations:

One mole of ideal gas is initially at 1 atm and has a volume of 5L.

a) Calculate the work done on the gas during an isothermal, reversible compression to a volume of 2L.

##W_isothermal = - \int_{v_i}^{v_f} p dv = - \int_{v_I}^{v_f} \frac{nRT}{V} dV = -nRT \int_{v_I}^{v_f} \frac{1}{V} dV = -nRT ln \frac{V_I}{V_f} = -(1 mol)(8.314 \frac{J}{molK})T ln \frac{.005 m^3}{.002 m^3} = 7.618T##

b) Calculate the work done during a reversible adiabatic compression to 2L.

##P_i = \frac{nRT_I}{V} → T_i = \frac{V_I P_i}{nR} = \frac{(.005 m^3)(101300 Pa)}{(1 mol)(8.314 \frac{J}{molK})} = 60.92 K##

I think I'm a little stuck here because the problem statement does not give me whether its a monatomic or diatomic gas in order to get the ##\frac{C_p}{C_v}## value. Is there something I'm not seeing?

c) What are the final pressures for (a) and (b)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first part is correct and your determination of ##T_i## is correct, assuming you have done the arithmetic properly. You do need to know the value for ##\gamma = \frac{C_p}{C_v}## in order to calculate the adiabatic work and the final pressure and temperature (applying the adiabatic condition). I would suggest that you assume a true ideal gas (monatomic).

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted