Roots of derivative of polynomial.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
peripatein
Messages
868
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Homework Statement


I am asked to prove that given all roots of a polynomial P of order n>=2 are real, then all the roots of its derivative P' are necessarily real too.
I am permitted to assume that a polynomial of order n cannot have more than n real roots.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I have tried proving that using induction, but got stuck.
I'd appreciate some assistance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing down P(x) in factored form.
 
Think about two consecutive roots of P(x), say x1<x2. What can you say about P'(x) on the interval [x1,x2]? Try and find a theorem that applies.
 
Based on Rolle's Mean Value Theorem, if P(x1)=P(x2)(=0, in this case) then P'(x3) = 0. I've tried using that but was unable to complete my proof by induction of the above mentioned statement.
Would you kindly assist?
 
Won't P'(x) have n-1 real roots (number of xn+1-xn's)?