Proving the Roots of Higher Derivatives of a Polynomial Function

In summary, the conversation discusses proving (by induction on r) that for r = 0, 1, 2, · · · , n, the r-th derivative of f(x) is a polynomial whose value is 0 at no fewer than r distinct points of (−1, 1). Suggestions are given for expanding f(x) as a sum of (n+1) terms and using the product rule for taking derivatives. The conversation also mentions considering special cases, such as when n is small or when r=0 or r=n. The conversation concludes with a request for clarification on the use of induction and taking derivatives from the messy function of f^(r)(x).
rainwyz0706
Let f (x) = (x^2 − 1)^n . Prove (by induction on r) that for r = 0, 1, 2, · · · , n,
f^ (r) (x)(the r-th derivative of f(x)) is a polynomial whose value is 0 at no fewer than r distinct points of (−1, 1).

I'm thinking about expanding f(x) as the sum of the (n+1) terms, then it's easier to take derivatives. But I don't know how to get the roots from there then. Could anyone please give me some hints? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, have you figured out any special cases? Like maybe n small, or maybe r=0 and r=n?

I tried to prove by induction on r. But I'm not sure how to express the k-th derivative of f(x). r=0 or r=n are special cases, they clearly holds. My problem is how to generalize it.

[itex]f(x)= (x-1)^n(x+ 1)^n[/itex] and all derivatives are done by repeated use of the product rule.

As for using induction, [itex](x-1)^{k+1}(x-1)^{k+1}= (x^2- 1)^k (x-1)(x+ 1)[/itex]. Use the product rule on that.

Could you please be a bit more specific about your second line? The k here means the k-th derivatives. The power of (x-1)(x+1) is a fix n, and I don't think I'm supposed to do an induction on that. f^(r)(x) has to be a pretty messy function, is there a clear way to take derivative out of that?

1. What are the roots of higher derivatives?

The roots of higher derivatives refer to the points at which the derivative of a function is equal to zero. These points correspond to the critical points or extrema of the original function.

2. Why are the roots of higher derivatives important?

The roots of higher derivatives play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of a function. They help identify the maximum and minimum values of a function and can also reveal information about the concavity of the function.

3. How do you find the roots of higher derivatives?

To find the roots of higher derivatives, you first need to take the derivative of the original function. Then, set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the variable. The solutions to this equation will be the roots of the higher derivatives.

4. What do the roots of higher derivatives tell us about a function?

The roots of higher derivatives can give us information about the critical points and extrema of a function. They can also help determine the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing, as well as the points where the function changes concavity.

5. Can the roots of higher derivatives be used in real-world applications?

Yes, the roots of higher derivatives have many real-world applications. They are commonly used in optimization problems, such as finding the minimum or maximum values of a function. They also play a role in physics and engineering when analyzing the behavior of systems.