Roots of Trigonometric polynomials?

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for solving trigonometric polynomials called the method for solving transcendentals. The person cannot find information on this method and asks for clarification. Another person suggests using Newton's Method or other iterative methods such as the bisection method or the secant method. The method discussed may involve multiplying the result of iteration rather than subtracting.
wk1989
I remember learning an iterative method that gives the answer to trigonometric polynomials such as

sin(x)-0.7-0.611cosx = 0

where x is the angle in degrees.

The person who I learned this method from called it the method for solving transcendentals. Now I can't seem to find any information on this method, could anyone please enlighten me by providing the information?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The approach is similar, but I don't remember taking any derivatives when using the method I was taught, and I think it involved multiplying the result of iteration rather then subtracting (as with Newton's method).

wk1989 said:
The person who I learned this method from called it the method for solving transcendentals.

I don't know if there is one method known as the method for solving transcendentals; however, there are several iterative methods for solving equations such as the one you posted. For example, the most basic numerical root-finding method, the bisection method, could be used. And it doesn't use derivatives.

There is also the secant method.

And others.

1. What are the roots of a trigonometric polynomial?

A trigonometric polynomial is a polynomial function that involves sine and cosine functions. The roots of a trigonometric polynomial are the values of the independent variable that make the function equal to zero.

2. How do you find the roots of a trigonometric polynomial?

To find the roots of a trigonometric polynomial, you can use the quadratic formula or the method of substitution. The quadratic formula can be used for polynomials of degree 2 or higher, while the method of substitution involves setting the trigonometric function equal to zero and solving for the independent variable.

3. What is the significance of the roots of a trigonometric polynomial?

The roots of a trigonometric polynomial represent the values where the function crosses the x-axis and changes from positive to negative or vice versa. They can also be used to find the x-intercepts of the function and to solve real-world problems involving trigonometric equations.

4. Can a trigonometric polynomial have multiple roots?

Yes, a trigonometric polynomial can have multiple roots. Just like a regular polynomial, the degree of the polynomial determines the number of possible roots. For example, a trigonometric polynomial of degree 3 can have up to 3 distinct roots.

5. How are the roots of a trigonometric polynomial related to its graph?

The roots of a trigonometric polynomial are the x-values where the graph of the function intersects the x-axis. They can also be used to identify the behavior of the graph, such as the number of peaks and valleys and the direction of the graph's curvature.