1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating binary star system & three star system

1. Apr 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) Astronomers discover a binary star system that has period of 90 days. The binary star system consists of two equal mass stars each with a mass twice the sun's. They rotate about the center of mass at the midpoint between them. How far apart are the two stars?

2) Three stars each with a mass of our sun, form an equilateral triangle with sides 1* 10^12 m long. The triangle has to rotate because otherwise the stars would collide. What is the period of rotation?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For #1,

There doesn't seem to me to be any clear pivot or mass around which the stars orbit, and that's what baffles me. I thought about pretending they were connected by a massless string and calculating the moment of inertia, and then using rotational kinetic energy, but I'm not sure how to start

#2 I think I'll have a better grasp on this after figuring out #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi bcjochimo07,

Draw a force diagram for one of the stars. What is the only force that acts on it? The stars are moving in a circle, so you also know a formula for the acceleration.

Be careful when you assign distances--the distance that is used in the force formula is not the distance that is used in the acceleration formula.
  4. Apr 18, 2008 #3
    Thanks! I got the first problem right. Now for the second one.... I would have to choose one of the stars and sum the force components. Next I would use trigonometry to find the radius & then I would solve for angular velocity & then the period.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?