1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the period of rotation of this system...

1. Jan 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three identical stars, each with mass m, form the verticies of an equilateral triangle with side length d and rotate in a circular orbit due to their mutual gravitation. What is the period τ of their rotation?

I set up the FBD for each star and am now trying to figure out what to do from there. I know how to get period into the equation from circular motion, but is that all there is to it? The FBD gives different equations for each mass so when I solve I get different periods for each star. What should I be doing here?

Force equations

Star at bottom left point:

x: Fcosθ+F = max
    y: Fsinθ = may

Star at bottom right:

x: -(Fcosθ+F) = max
    y: Fsinθ = may

Star at top:

y: -2F = may (or should this be -2Fcos(θ/2)?)
    x: forces cancel to 0

If you draw an equilateral triangle you will see what I'm talking about and then how I oriented my axes around the stars.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2017 #2
    When I solve for period my units are seconds - so I know my method is correct. Anyway I would solve each of the force equations above for period and compare because they should be the same (or at least what I have been thinking) and they are off by a factor due to the cosθ or sinθ

4. Jan 12, 2017 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Instead of working with x and y components of force, think about centripetal components of forces. Use what you know about circular motion.

5. Jan 12, 2017 #4
    I should neglect the force that each is exerting on each other in x or y and only focus on the forces going towards the center of the system (triangle)? I thought about that but I was afraid to try it.

6. Jan 12, 2017 #5
    Okay I think this might be right. Using the centripetal components I was able to solve for period using the star at the top which my answer was T = (2πd3/2)/(√(Gm))(31/4). Units check out.

(2Gm2cos(θ/2))/d2 = mv2/d this was my equation from F = ma.

7. Jan 12, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the orbital radius equal to d?

8. Jan 12, 2017 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I get a different constant factor. Please post all your working.

9. Jan 12, 2017 #8
    dsinθ-dsinθ/2 is the distance? Here is the work. Sorry for the blur.

Attached Files:

10. Jan 12, 2017 #9
    OH MY GOD I DID IT THANK YOU haruspex as usual and Tsny . No dsinθ -dsinθ/2 was definitely not it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted