Rotating conductor in magnetic field

In summary: Can you find that one?In summary, the problem involves a single rotating conductor in a magnetic field and the question is about the points where there would be maximum and zero induced emf. The attempt at a solution suggests that at position 1, where the conductor is perpendicular to the field, the emf would be maximum. However, the confusion lies in the statements that a parallel coil results in zero emf and a perpendicular coil results in maximum emf. The relevant equation for this problem is one that relates the induced voltage to the derivative of the flux piercing the surface.
jsmit21

Homework Statement

The problem consists of a single rotating conductor in a magnetic field as shown, I don't understand at which given numbered points where there would be a maximum and zero induced emf ?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/28/7ggv.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that its said to be when the conductor is parallel with the magnetic field it is cutting no flux lines and therefore no emf is induced and when it is cutting at 90° perpendicular to the field the emf is maximum, so I am guessing that at position 1 it would be maximum, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jsmit21 said:

Homework Statement

The problem consists of a single rotating conductor in a magnetic field as shown, I don't understand at which given numbered points where there would be a maximum and zero induced emf ?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/28/7ggv.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that its said to be when the conductor is parallel with the magnetic field it is cutting no flux lines and therefore no emf is induced and when it is cutting at 90° perpendicular to the field the emf is maximum, so I am guessing that at position 1 it would be maximum, but I'm not sure.

Welcome to the PF.

You deleted the part of the Homework Help Template that asks for the Relevant Equations. What is the equation that is most relevant to this problem? That is what you will use to answer the question... :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply, is it the case then that if V=BLVSinθ, then at position 1, since the angle is 90° to the lines of flux it would be maximum, i think I'm confused about statements of coils being parallel being 0, and perpendicular being maximum any help is appreciated ?

jsmit21 said:
Thanks for your reply, is it the case then that if V=BLVSinθ, then at position 1, since the angle is 90° to the lines of flux it would be maximum, i think I'm confused about statements of coils being parallel being 0, and perpendicular being maximum any help is appreciated ?

That's not the equation I was thinking of. There is an equation that relates the voltage induced around the periphery of a surface to the derivative of the flux piercing the surface...

I would like to clarify and expand upon the concept of induced emf in a rotating conductor in a magnetic field. The phenomenon of induced emf occurs when there is relative motion between a conductor and a magnetic field. In this case, the conductor is rotating, which means that it is constantly changing its orientation with respect to the magnetic field.

In order to understand where there would be a maximum and zero induced emf, we need to consider the relationship between the direction of the magnetic field, the direction of motion of the conductor, and the direction of the induced current. According to Faraday's law of induction, the induced emf is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the conductor.

Now, let's look at the given diagram. At position 1, the conductor is perpendicular to the magnetic field, which means that it is cutting through the maximum number of magnetic flux lines. This results in the maximum rate of change of magnetic flux and therefore the maximum induced emf. At position 2, the conductor is parallel to the magnetic field, which means that it is not cutting through any magnetic flux lines. Hence, there is no change in magnetic flux and no induced emf. At positions 3 and 4, the conductor is at intermediate angles, resulting in intermediate values of induced emf.

In conclusion, the maximum and zero induced emf occur at positions 1 and 2, respectively, due to the orientation of the conductor with respect to the magnetic field and the resulting change in magnetic flux. It is important to note that the magnitude of induced emf also depends on factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, and the length of the conductor. I hope this clarifies your understanding of induced emf in a rotating conductor in a magnetic field.

1. What is a rotating conductor in a magnetic field?

A rotating conductor in a magnetic field refers to a scenario in which a conducting material, such as a metal wire, is rotated within a magnetic field. This creates an electric current within the conductor, which can then be harnessed for various purposes.

2. How does a rotating conductor in a magnetic field generate electricity?

When a conductor is rotated within a magnetic field, the movement of the conductor cuts through the magnetic field lines, creating a change in magnetic flux. This change in flux creates an electric field, which in turn causes electrons to flow through the conductor, generating electricity.

3. What are some real-world applications of a rotating conductor in a magnetic field?

A rotating conductor in a magnetic field can be used in a variety of applications, such as in generators to produce electricity, in motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, and in induction cooktops to heat up cooking vessels.

4. What factors affect the electricity generated by a rotating conductor in a magnetic field?

The amount of electricity generated by a rotating conductor in a magnetic field depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, the size and shape of the conductor, and the material of the conductor.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a rotating conductor in a magnetic field for electricity generation?

One potential disadvantage of using a rotating conductor in a magnetic field for electricity generation is that it requires a continuous source of mechanical energy to keep the conductor rotating. This can be achieved through various means, but it may not be as efficient or cost-effective as other methods of electricity generation.