1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating conductor in magnetic field

1. Jan 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem consists of a single rotating conductor in a magnetic field as shown, I don't understand at which given numbered points where there would be a maximum and zero induced emf ?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/28/7ggv.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that its said to be when the conductor is parallel with the magnetic field it is cutting no flux lines and therefore no emf is induced and when it is cutting at 90° perpendicular to the field the emf is maximum, so I am guessing that at position 1 it would be maximum, but i'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

You deleted the part of the Homework Help Template that asks for the Relevant Equations. What is the equation that is most relevant to this problem? That is what you will use to answer the question... :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jan 14, 2014 #3
    Thanks for your reply, is it the case then that if V=BLVSinθ, then at position 1, since the angle is 90° to the lines of flux it would be maximum, i think i'm confused about statements of coils being parallel being 0, and perpendicular being maximum any help is appreciated ?

5. Jan 14, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That's not the equation I was thinking of. There is an equation that relates the voltage induced around the periphery of a surface to the derivative of the flux piercing the surface...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted