Rotating disk dropped onto another rotating disk

In summary: So in summary, using conservation of angular momentum and the given initial angular velocities, the resultant combination of the two wheels has an angular velocity of 19.64 rpm in the CCW direction.
robertmatthew

Homework Statement

A wheel, mounted on a vertical shaft of negligible rotational inertia, is rotating at 500 rpm (CCW from above).
Part a) asks to find the new angular velocity if an identical wheel is dropped onto the shaft. I got this part right.
Part b) is: Now suppose the dropped wheel starts with an angular velocity of 125 rpm is the opposite direction of the first wheel (CW from above). Determine the angular velocity for the resultant combination of the two wheels.

Homework Equations

Conservation of angular momentum: Li=Lf
L= Iω

The Attempt at a Solution

Li=Lf
I(ωCCW) + IωCW) = 2Iωf
I(26.180 rad/s) + I(-13.090 rads) = 2Iωf
13.09 = 2ωf
ωf = 6.545

Is that right? On my initial attempt (these are test corrections), I set the initial momentum of the first wheel equal to the sum of the final momentum and the initial momentum of wheel being dropped. My teacher wrote "same (stuck together)" on the paper, so I thought this might've been what he meant.

Physics news on Phys.org
robertmatthew said:

Homework Statement

A wheel, mounted on a vertical shaft of negligible rotational inertia, is rotating at 500 rpm (CCW from above).
Part a) asks to find the new angular velocity if an identical wheel is dropped onto the shaft. I got this part right.
Part b) is: Now suppose the dropped wheel starts with an angular velocity of 125 rpm is the opposite direction of the first wheel (CW from above). Determine the angular velocity for the resultant combination of the two wheels.

Homework Equations

Conservation of angular momentum: Li=Lf
L= Iω

The Attempt at a Solution

Li=Lf
I(ωCCW) + IωCW) = 2Iωf
I(26.180 rad/s) + I(-13.090 rads) = 2Iωf
13.09 = 2ωf
ωf = 6.545

Is that right? On my initial attempt (these are test corrections), I set the initial momentum of the first wheel equal to the sum of the final momentum and the initial momentum of wheel being dropped. My teacher wrote "same (stuck together)" on the paper, so I thought this might've been what he meant.
500 rpm is 4 times 125 rpm .

26.180 rad/s is only 2 times 13.09 rads/s .

You made a mistake converting one of these to rads/s .

I set the initial momentum of the first wheel equal to the sum of the final momentum and the initial momentum of wheel being dropped.

I can see how you got that but its not good practice to write it that way. If you read it literally it's actually wrong. Conservation of momentum would say...

Initial momentum of first wheel + Initial momentum of dropped = Final momentum of both.

If you rearrange that you get...

Initial momentum of first wheel = Final momentum of both - Initial momentum of dropped wheel

..which is not what you wrote. There is a minus sign on the right. That should only become a +ve when you substitute the actual data values for this problem.

SammyS said:
500 rpm is 4 times 125 rpm .

26.180 rad/s is only 2 times 13.09 rads/s .

You made a mistake converting one of these to rads/s .

Yeah, I mistakenly substituted the ωf of 26.180 rad/s from part a. Tried it with 52.36 rad/s instead and got 19.64 rad/s.

robertmatthew said:
Yeah, I mistakenly substituted the ωf of 26.180 rad/s from part a. Tried it with 52.36 rad/s instead and got 19.64 rad/s.
What is it ?

You used 52.36 rad/s for which wheel?

What did you use for the other wheel?

robertmatthew said:

The question used rpm rather than rads/s so might want to give the answer in the same form and mention the direction.

1. What is the purpose of studying the "Rotating disk dropped onto another rotating disk" phenomenon?

Studying this phenomenon allows us to understand the dynamics of collisions between rotating objects and how the resulting energy is distributed. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as engineering, sports, and astronomy.

2. How does the rotation speed of the disks affect the outcome of the collision?

The rotation speed of the disks greatly impacts the outcome of the collision. It determines the amount of kinetic energy that is transferred between the two disks and affects the resulting angular velocities and direction of rotation after the collision.

3. Are there any factors other than rotation speed that can influence the collision?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the collision, such as the mass and diameter of the disks, the surface friction between the disks, and the angle at which the disks collide. These factors can also impact the resulting energy transfer and motion of the disks.

4. Can the disks have different rotational directions before the collision?

Yes, the disks can have different rotational directions before the collision. This can result in a more complex collision, with energy being transferred in different directions and potentially causing both disks to change their direction of rotation after the collision.

5. How is the "Rotating disk dropped onto another rotating disk" phenomenon relevant in real-life applications?

This phenomenon is relevant in various real-life applications, such as predicting the outcome of collisions between rotating objects in sports like basketball or figure skating. It also has practical applications in engineering, such as in designing gear systems or calculating the impact of rotating machinery in industrial settings.