Rotation and translation of a cylinder

In summary, the problem involves a homogenous cylinder resting on a slippery surface with a string wound around it and a mass hanging from the other end. The task is to determine the angular acceleration and tension in the string when the system is moving. Using the equations F=ma and RF=Iα, and taking into account the moment of intertia of the pulley, the correct solution is found to be α = 2mg/R(M + 3m). The mistake in the attempt at a solution was assuming that the acceleration of the cylinder and the block were equal, when in fact, the block has to fall faster due to the string being let out.
Hannisch

Homework Statement

A homogenous cylinder with radius R and mass M is resting, with the axis vertical, on a horizontal surface, which can be asumed to be completely slippery. A string is partially wound around the cylinder. The string then runs over a pulley at the end of the table, in the same height as the winding, and then on to a weight with mass m hanging in its other end. Determine the angular acceleration and the tension in the string when the system is moving. The moment of intertia of the pulley can be neglected.

Homework Equations

F = ma

RF = Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going crazy with this, because it's not really that hard of a problem..

Okay, if I draw the force diagrams, I have the tension T on the cylinder, which is the force that will create its angular acceleration and I have T up and mg down on the mass m. The tension should also be the force that's accelerating the centre of mass of M. I'd say the translational acceleration of M needs to be the same as that for m.

m: mg - T = ma
M: T = Ma
rotation: RT = Iα

I for a cyldinder = MR2/2

from rotation: T = MRα/2

from M: a = T/M

a = Rα/2

Putting these in the m-equation: mg - MRα/2 = mRα/2

mg = Rα(M + m)/2

2mg/R(M + m) = α

And this is incorrect. There's something I'm missing and I can't see it - it is driving me insane. The correct answer is supposed to be α = 2mg/R(M + 3m). So close, yet sooo far away.

Could anyone tell me what I'm not seeing, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hannisch said:
m: mg - T = ma
M: T = Ma
rotation: RT = Iα

This is your problem. The acceleration of the cylinder is not equal to the acceleration of the block. This is because the cylinder is letting out string as it spins, so the block has to fall faster than the cylinder's center of mass is moving.

Ah, okay. I thought I went wrong somewhere in the beginning. I'll try to do it during the day (there's no time right now, I need to go to my lecture), but thank you!

What is rotation and translation of a cylinder?

Rotation and translation of a cylinder refer to the movement and positioning of a cylinder in 3D space.

How is the rotation of a cylinder defined?

The rotation of a cylinder is defined by the angle and axis of rotation. The cylinder is rotated around its central axis by the specified angle in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.

What is translation of a cylinder?

Translation of a cylinder is the movement of the cylinder along a straight line in 3D space. This can be in any direction and is defined by the distance and direction of the movement.

Can a cylinder be both rotated and translated at the same time?

Yes, a cylinder can be both rotated and translated simultaneously. This will result in a combination of rotational and translational movement.

How does the rotation and translation of a cylinder affect its dimensions?

The rotation and translation of a cylinder do not affect its dimensions. The cylinder's base and height remain constant, only its position and orientation in space change.