Rotation: Calculating Rotational Energy of Sphere with Steiner

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kruger
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rotation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Kruger
Messages
213
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Consider a spere with momenta of inertia of 2/5*m*r^2 that rolls down a plane surface (no friction). I want to calculate the rotational energy of the sphere when it has speed v0.

Homework Equations



Erot=1/2*I*w^2

The Attempt at a Solution



My only problem is: Do I need to transform my I=2/5*m*r^2 with the rule of steiner, or don't I have to use the rule of Steiner? I would say no.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm so confused because sometimes Steiner's theorem isn't used and sometimes it is used for rolling objects. Can you please generalize, when I have to use Steiner's theorem for rolling objects? Would be really helpful.