Rotation of Axes: 5x^3+10x^2+20x+15

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ledsnyder
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Axes Rotation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Ledsnyder
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



5x^3+10x^2+20x+15 is rotated through the angle 45 degrees to new xy coordinate system.Whats the equation to the coordinate system?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


New X= xcos(theta)+ycos(theta) New Y=-xsin(theta)+ycos(theta)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ledsnyder said:

Homework Statement



5x^3+10x^2+20x+15 is rotated through the angle 45 degrees to new xy coordinate system.Whats the equation to the coordinate system?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


New X= xcos(theta)+ycos(theta) New Y=-xsin(theta)+ycos(theta)

So...? Show the rest of your work.
 
I have the equations.I just don't know how to find the new equation based on the coordinates.
 
Ledsnyder said:
I have the equations.I just don't know how to find the new equation based on the coordinates.

What is preventing you from putting in ##y = 5x^3+10x^2+20x+15## into the expressions for ##X## and ##Y##? This will, at least, give you a "parametric" form of the relationship between ##X## and ##Y## along the curve (the parameter will be ##x##). It might be harder if you want an explicit formula of the form ##Y = f(X)## (or maybe ##G(X,Y) = 0##) in which the parameter ##x## has been eliminated, but I suggest you give it a try. Or have you already done that?