1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation Spectrum of a diatomic molecule (QM)

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the rotation spectrum of 12C16O the line arising from the transition l = 4 -> 3 is at 461.04077GHz, while that arising from l = 36 -> 35 is at 4115.6055GHz. Show from these data that in a non-rotating CO molecule the intra-nuclear distance is s ~ 0.113 nm, and that the electrons provide a spring between the nuclei that has force constant ~1904Nm−1. Hence show that the vibrational frequency of CO should lie near 6.47×10^13Hz (measured value 6.43 × 1013 Hz). Hint: show from classical mechanics that the distance of O from the centre of mass is (3/7) s and that the molecule’s moment of inertia is (48/7) ms^2. Recall also the classical relation L = Iw.

2. Relevant equations
    f = j h/((2pi)^2*I)

Where f is the frequency of the emitted photon and j(j+1) is the eigenvalue of J^2 (I think j is the same as l in this question?)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can derive the two classical bits in the hint and the above formula. I then tried taking one of the frequencies given, working out I using the above formula, and plugging it into the second classical expression to get s. It didn't work!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2
    It's not (2pi)^2 on the bottom, it's just 2pi. Plugging in the numbers with the modified formula gives the correct value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook