Rotational Circular Motion with fixed ends and a spinning button in the middle

In summary: Yes, you would have to isolate the masses to find the proportionality.You would have to isolate the masses to find the proportionality.
rushy
Homework Statement
Equations deriving the relationship between hanging mass and angular velocity
Relevant Equations
Rotational Motion equations with circular motion
button_spinner.gif

This button has fixed ends and the string is twirled and on the fixed ends there is hanging masses. I have found out that if string twirls are constant, the hanging mass is directly proportional to angular velocity squared. But I want to understand how that is derived. Could anyone please help?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
rushy said:
This button has fixed ends
The string has fixed ends?
rushy said:
I have found out that
Do you mean you worked that out for yourself or someone told you?
rushy said:
the hanging mass is directly proportional to angular velocity squared
The mass is? Do you mean the height of each mass, or the speed of the masses, or the height they have fallen by, or...?

The hanging mass can be inferred as a pulley. As the weight increases, it causes angular velocity to increase thus directly proportional.

This relationship I found from the internet by reading some articles but I want to understand how to derive it

Yes, the string is fixed.

rushy said:
As the weight increases, it causes angular velocity to increase
I think you may be misreading the equation you found. Please quote it exactly or post a link.

I am not sure if the website is reliable but this is the relationship:

The hanging mass is directly proportional to angular velocity squared.

If that is not the case, could you suggest what the relationship could be with it derived from the equations:

rushy said:
I am not sure if the website is reliable but this is the relationship:

The hanging mass is directly proportional to angular velocity squared.

If that is not the case, could you suggest what the relationship could be with it derived from the equations:
I still think you are not providing the whole story. Please post the link.

I can't seem to find the link anymore. I will try sending a setup of the experiment of what I mean

I think OP's problem could be a variant of this with hanging masses, possibly over pulleys, providing the tension. There is no resonant driving force, but in the absence of dissipative forces mechanical energy is constant and distributed among kinetic energy of the button and masses and gravitational plus torsional potential energy.

kuruman said:

I think OP's problem could be a variant of this with hanging masses, possibly over pulleys, providing the tension. There is no resonant driving force, but in the absence of dissipative forces mechanical energy is constant and distributed among kinetic energy of the button and masses and gravitational plus torsional potential energy.

Yes, I understood that much. My problem is what the the quoted relationship refers to.

If we are considering the masses in a single descent, ω2 will be proportional to the product of the combined mass and the distance descended.

If we are considering it as SHM, with the masses rising and falling and the spin reversing, then there needs to be something about maximum angular velocity and maximum descent.

Either way, it doesn't make a lot of sense to say it is proportional to mass without specifying "for a given descent".

haruspex said:
Yes, I understood that much. My problem is what the the quoted relationship refers to.

If we are considering the masses in a single descent, ω2 will be proportional to the product of the combined mass and the distance descended.

If we are considering it as SHM, with the masses rising and falling and the spin reversing, then there needs to be something about maximum angular velocity and maximum descent.

Either way, it doesn't make a lot of sense to say it is proportional to mass without specifying "for a given descent".
Yes, the problem statement requires clarification from OP. The title doesn't help much either, "Rotational circular motion with fixed ends"?

here is the setup. the button is in the middle and the string is twirled and released to let it spin. The ends are fixed and are connected with hanging masses.

Since we know the relationship is that mass is directly proportional to angular velocity squared for a given descent, I want to understand how that proportionality is derived.

Thanks for the help

rushy said:
for a given descent
Ok, that was the missing piece.
Just use energy conservation.

What do you mean by energy conservation?

Provide me with the relevant formulas that can conclude that proportionality.

rushy said:
What do you mean by energy conservation?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energyBut for the purposes of this question, the sum of the mechanical energies (kinetic energy, KE, and gravitational potential energy, GPE) is constant.
Do you know the equations for rotational KE and GPE?

I think these are the equations:
KE = 0.5 * moment of inertia * angular velocity squared
GPE = linear KE (0.5 * mass * velocity squared) + rotational KE (as above)

If I want to find the proportionality statement between the falling masses and the angular velocity of the button. Would I have to isolate the mass (does that mass equal the hanging masses or the whole system). I can also swap the velocities (v) to angular velocity by dividing it by the radius of the button.

Let me know if my approach is right?

rushy said:
KE = 0.5 * moment of inertia * angular velocity squared
For rotational KE, yes.
rushy said:
GPE = linear KE (0.5 * mass * velocity squared) + rotational KE (as above)
No, change in gravitational potential energy equals height change x mass x gravitational acceleration.

haruspex said:
But for the purposes of this question, the sum of the mechanical energies (kinetic energy, KE, and gravitational potential energy, GPE) is constant.
Shouldn't there be torsional potential energy (TPE) also? If you compare two such systems, I think that for the same change in height ##\Delta h## from minimum to maximum GPE of the hanging masses, a button that has the higher "twist change number" ##\Delta N## will acquire a higher maximum rotational energy.

kuruman said:
Shouldn't there be torsional potential energy (TPE) also? If you compare two such systems, I think that for the same change in height ##\Delta h## from minimum to maximum GPE of the hanging masses, a button that has the higher "twist change number" ##\Delta N## will acquire a higher maximum rotational energy.
I am not clear on where you would expect such "torsional potential energy" to be stored.

The picture in my mind's eye is of two ideal inextensible, massless cords that individually have negligible resistance to twisting but which have non-negligible thickness so that longitudinal tension gains a torsional component when the cords spiral around one another. There is no place for energy to be stored in such cords.

jbriggs444 said:
I am not clear on where you would expect such "torsional potential energy" to be stored.

The picture in my mind's eye is of two ideal inextensible, massless cords that individually have negligible resistance to twisting but which have non-negligible thickness so that longitudinal tension gains a torsional component when the cords spiral around one another. There is no place for energy to be stored in such cords.
If that's the model, yes I will agree with you, but what about friction? It is fair to imagine that as the strands of the double helix separate they don't rub against each other so no kinetic friction. However, I wonder if it is fair to ignore static friction. The strands of the double helix are pressed tightly against each other as they are wound around and the tension should increase as one moves away from the ends, sort of like a capstan. The tension at the button will be greater than the tension at the ends. Of course if this is the case, the string will have to be extensible and store energy. Would this gadget work as well as shown in the video if the contact between twisted strands were completely frictionless and didn't have the benefit of tension and torque augmentation at the button? I am not sure, one way or the other.

kuruman said:
The strands of the double helix are pressed tightly against each other as they are wound around and the tension should increase as one moves away from the ends, sort of like a capstan.
In a capstan, static friction acts in the same direction as the tension, so adds to it. In the twisted strands, I see no reason there should be any friction.

I would start by ignoring things like friction or energy stored in the string. Try assuming that all the energy lost by the falling mass ends up in the spinning button. See what relationship that produces.

1. What is rotational circular motion?

Rotational circular motion is the motion of an object around a fixed axis where all points on the object move in circular paths with the same angular speed.

2. How does rotational circular motion with fixed ends and a spinning button in the middle occur?

This type of motion occurs when a spinning object, such as a button, is attached to a rod or string at its center, creating a fixed axis. The motion is produced by the object's angular velocity and the tension in the rod or string.

3. What is the difference between rotational circular motion and translational motion?

Translational motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational circular motion is the movement of an object around a fixed axis. In translational motion, all points on the object move at the same speed, whereas in rotational circular motion, the speed of the object varies based on its distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How is rotational circular motion related to centripetal force?

Rotational circular motion is maintained by a centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circular path. This force is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path and preventing it from flying off in a straight line.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational circular motion with fixed ends and a spinning button in the middle?

Some examples of this type of motion include a yo-yo spinning on its string, a spinning top, a Ferris wheel, and a spinning fan. In all of these cases, the objects are attached to a fixed axis and have a spinning motion around that axis.