How fast to spin object hanging by thread to break thread

In summary, the question asks for the velocity needed to break a thread when an object is twirled around on a string. The relevant equations are F=mv^2/r, F=mw^2r, v=vo+at, and v=wr. To find the velocity, a diagram of the problem can be drawn and relevant information can be marked. The mass and acceleration can be measured to solve for the velocity using the third equation. However, increasing the mass will result in a lower velocity, so it must be included in the equation.
Nikki1357

Homework Statement

If an object is hanging by a thread, how fast must it be twirled around in order to break the thread? (must also provide explanation of why this is the velocity).
As a part of a lab, pick a certain mass. Attach to light string (easily breaks) and pull the string through a cylindrical tube with blunt edges that won't cut the string. Spin mass in circle and reduce the radius, thus increasing the velocity, until mass breaks.

Homework Equations

F=mv^2/r
F=mw^2r
v=vo+at
v=wr
v/r=w

The Attempt at a Solution

If videotaped I know I can find the radius. I will be able to weigh a mass. I need help understanding the quickest way to measure acceleration. If I know the acceleration my plan it to time it to find when the mass breaks off and then use the 3rd equation from above to solve for the velocity (knowing it starts from rest).

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start with the first part of the question .

Draw a diagram showing the geometry of the problem and mark in all the information that you think is relevant .

@Nikki1357

I see that you have been back for a look but not posted any reply . Does this help at all ?

PF01.jpg

The original question is badly worded and this may be causing you some needless difficulties .

Last edited:
Hello. Sorry for not replying, but now I have a theoretical relationship between the variables involved. When I solve this equation mass is eliminated, but I know that increasing the mass will lead to a lower velocity and it must be included in the equation. I don't understand where I went wrong in my calculations. Please help!
1MHzXQZckYMe1xEq_nVL80C2_RNXTh6AgMYBhG54fAYrFXNrEI2K2jnVMCrq2qft9UMuoXN_NyGQPVO7ZNcEi8DmBISzD67u.jpg

1. How does the speed of the spinning object affect the strength of the thread?

The speed of the spinning object does not directly affect the strength of the thread. The strength of the thread is determined by its material and thickness. However, the speed of the spinning object can indirectly impact the strength of the thread if it causes the thread to rub against a surface or experience friction, which can weaken the thread over time.

2. Is there a specific speed at which the thread will always break?

No, there is no specific speed at which the thread will always break. The breaking point of the thread depends on various factors such as the material and thickness of the thread, the weight and shape of the spinning object, and external forces like friction. These factors can vary and affect the breaking point of the thread.

3. Can the thread break if the spinning object is not heavy enough?

Yes, the thread can break even if the spinning object is not heavy enough. The weight of the spinning object is just one factor that can contribute to the breaking point of the thread. Other factors such as the material and thickness of the thread, the speed of the spinning object, and external forces can also play a role in breaking the thread.

4. Will the thread break faster if the spinning object is heavier?

The thread may break faster if the spinning object is heavier, but it is not always the case. As mentioned before, the breaking point of the thread depends on multiple factors. A heavier spinning object may put more strain on the thread, but if the thread is made of a strong material and has a thick enough diameter, it may not break as easily as a lighter object would.

5. Can you determine the exact speed needed to break a specific type of thread?

No, it is not possible to determine the exact speed needed to break a specific type of thread. As mentioned earlier, the breaking point of the thread can vary depending on several factors. Additionally, the breaking point of a thread can also change over time due to wear and tear or changes in the environment. Therefore, it is not possible to determine an exact speed that will always break a specific type of thread.