Rotational Collision Door Problem

In summary, the problem involves a solid wood door that is hinged and struck by a handful of sticky mud. Using the equations ΣLBefore=ΣLAfter and L=Iω=mvrsinϕ, the final angular speed of the door is calculated to be .2278 rad/sec. Care must be taken to use the correct moment of inertia for a rod length.
megatyler30

Homework Statement

A solid wood door 1.00 m wide and 2.00 m high is hinged along one side and has a total mass of 49.0 kg. Initially open and at rest, the door is struck at its center by a handful of sticky mud of mass 0.500 kg, traveling perpendicular to the door at 15.0 m/s just before impact. Find the final angular speed of the door (in rad/sec).

Homework Equations

ΣLBefore=ΣLAfter
L=Iω=mvrsinϕ
IDoor swinging on hinges=(1/3)mr2
IOf point=mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

ΣLBefore=ΣLAfter
mvrsinϕ=(IDoor+IMud
(.5)(15)(.5)sin90=[(1/3)(49)(.5)2+(.5)(.5)2
w=.8911 rad/sec

Sorry, I did do .8911 on the question (webassign), I just typed it in wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
megatyler30 said:
That looks right...
w=89.11 rad/sec
... but that seems much too big.

haruspex said:
That looks right...

... but that seems much too big.

I fixed it in OP, I meant to put .8911

megatyler30 said:
I fixed it in OP, I meant to put .8911

Looks good.

It's wrong though... (Or at least I used exact same method for practice another version and got it wrong but can't check since I'll be locked out if I get it wrong again.

megatyler30 said:
It's wrong though... (Or at least I used exact same method for practice another version and got it wrong but can't check since I'll be locked out if I get it wrong again.
OK, I see it. It's an easy confusion.
The moment of inertia of a rod length 2L about its centre is mL2/3.
The moment of inertia of a rod length 2L about one end is 4mL2/3.
The moment of inertia of a rod length L about one end is mL2/3.
You halved the door width, but only used 1/3 instead of 4/3.

megatyler30 said:

The item in red should be width of the door i.e 1.That should give you ω = .23 rad/sec .

Last edited:
Okay, thank you very much, I ended up getting ω = .2278 rad/sec which was right.

What is the "Rotational Collision Door Problem"?

The "Rotational Collision Door Problem" refers to a physics problem where a door is hinged at one end and a force is applied at the other end, causing the door to rotate and potentially collide with an object or surface. This problem can be used to study the concepts of rotational motion and collisions.

What factors influence the outcome of a "Rotational Collision Door Problem"?

The outcome of a "Rotational Collision Door Problem" can be affected by various factors, such as the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the mass and shape of the door, and the location and properties of the object or surface that the door collides with.

How can the "Rotational Collision Door Problem" be solved?

The "Rotational Collision Door Problem" can be solved using principles of rotational dynamics, such as torque and angular momentum. By analyzing the forces and moments acting on the door, the final position and velocity of the door can be determined.

What is the real-life application of the "Rotational Collision Door Problem"?

The "Rotational Collision Door Problem" has practical applications in engineering and design, particularly in the design of doors and hinges. Understanding the physics behind this problem can help engineers create more efficient and durable doors.

Are there any limitations to the "Rotational Collision Door Problem"?

Like any simplified physics problem, the "Rotational Collision Door Problem" may not fully represent the complexities of a real-life scenario. Factors such as friction and air resistance are often ignored in this problem, but they can have a significant impact on the outcome in real situations.