Rotational Dynamics of a grinding wheel

In summary: You have to work backwards. You start with the equation for the initial velocity and solve for u. From there, you can find a and t by taking the derivative of u with respect to a.
Black_Hole???
Ok i am not good with physics and these are some review problems for my test coming up. Please help.

At time t1 = 0 an electric grinding wheel has an angular velocity of 28.0 rad/s. It has a
constant angular acceleration of 32.0 rad/s2. At time t2 = 2.20 s a circuit breaker trips, and the
wheel then turns through another 350 rad as it coasts to a stop at constant angular acceleration.

(i) Through what total angle did the wheel turn between t = 0 and the time it again
stopped?

ANSWER: _______________ Rad

(ii) At what time did the wheel stop?

ANSWER: ________________ ____

(iii) What was the angular acceleration of the wheel as it slowed down?

ANSWER: ________________ ____

answers are A1) 489 rad A2) 9.31 sec A3) -13.83 rad/sec^2
Please show work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show work.
First of all please show your attempts. What are relevant equations in rotational motion can be applied in this problem?

Q1(i) Through what total angle did the wheel turn between t = 0 and the time it again
stopped?

My attempt was:

28.0 + 32.0(2.20)^2= 182.88 + 350 = 532.88 rad

The answer was suppose to be 489 Rad.

(ii) At what time did the wheel stop?

My attempt was

2.20 + 350/? = ?

I am not sure how i am suppose to find the decrease in acceleration of the angular velocity because i don;t know how long it took and its not given.

(iii) What was the angular acceleration of the wheel as it slowed down?

I can't solve for this until i know answer B.

28.0 + 32.0(2.20)^2
For this which formula you are using?

Well for that i was using the

Change in distance = initial velocity + 1/2 a t^2

Then i added that to the 350 Rad it said it traveled once the breaker was tripped.

But i realized i forgot the 1/2 in my equation and end up getting 450.44. Which ends up being wrong again.

Change in distance = initial velocity + 1/2 a t^2
It should be
Change in distance = initial velocity*t + 1/2 a t^2
Also find the velocity at 2.2 s. This is necessary for the second part.

Ok The velocity at 2.2 sec is =732 rad/s^2

I got that by

Vf=V0 + at
Vf = 28.0 + (32.0)(2.20)

However i realized that I couldn't find an equation that didn't have both time and acceleration involved. What would i do to isolate just time while using the Initial velocity as 732 rad/sec^2 and the final velocity as 0 rad/sec^2. With the total distance traveled to be 350 rads?

It doesn't give me a mass or a frictional force to work with.

Ok The velocity at 2.2 sec is =732 rad/s^2
This is wrong. Is it the velocity or change in distance or some thing else?

Find out three equations of motion.

wow totally my bad. The answer was 98.4. entered the equation as 2.80+320(2.2)

Now you can use v^2 -u^2 = 2as to find a and t.

OK i got the answers for both B and C. I had the right idea but i keep messing up with entering it into my calculator so i need to check that before i post stuff.

However i got the answer to C first then B.

c) Vf^2 = V0^2 + 2 a s

0 = (98.4)^2 + 2(a)(350)
a=-13.8

B) t = (Vf-V0)/a

t= (98.4-0)/13.8
t= 7.13

T(total) = 2.2 + 7.13 = 9.33

If i were suppose to get it in the order of the test goes how would i go about that.

Thank you for your patience with me and help

v^2 -u^2 = 2as

What is the u^2?

Initial velocity i.e vo.
You can't find the answers in the given order.

1. What is rotational dynamics and how does it apply to a grinding wheel?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion and forces involved in rotating objects. In the case of a grinding wheel, it refers to the forces and motion involved in its rotation while grinding a workpiece.

2. What factors affect the rotational dynamics of a grinding wheel?

The rotational dynamics of a grinding wheel can be affected by factors such as the diameter of the wheel, the speed of rotation, the material and shape of the wheel, and the characteristics of the workpiece being ground.

3. How does the speed of rotation affect the grinding process?

The speed of rotation of a grinding wheel can greatly impact the efficiency and effectiveness of the grinding process. Higher speeds can result in a faster material removal rate, but can also lead to increased heat generation and potential damage to the workpiece.

4. What is the role of friction in the rotational dynamics of a grinding wheel?

Friction plays a crucial role in the rotational dynamics of a grinding wheel. It is the force that enables the wheel to grip and remove material from the workpiece. However, too much friction can also lead to excessive heat generation and wear on the wheel.

5. How can the rotational dynamics of a grinding wheel be optimized?

The rotational dynamics of a grinding wheel can be optimized by carefully selecting the appropriate wheel for the material being ground, controlling the speed of rotation, and ensuring proper lubrication and cooling to minimize heat and friction. Regular maintenance and balancing of the wheel can also improve its performance.