Rotational equilibrium question

In summary, a mountaineer weighing 82.0 kg who is 1.90m tall rappels down a vertical cliff with his body raised 35.0° above the horizontal. He holds the rope 1.40m from his feet, and it makes a 25.0° angle with the cliff face. The rope needs to support a tension of 525 N. The horizontal and vertical components of the force exerted by the cliff face on the mountaineer's feet are 478 N and 311 N respectively. To prevent his feet from slipping on the cliff face, a minimum coefficient of static friction of 0.58 is needed.
PirateFan308

Homework Statement

Mountaineers often use a rope to lower themselves down the face of a cliff (this is called rappelling). They do this with their body nearly horizontal and their feet pushing against the cliff. Suppose that an 82.0 kg climber who is 1.90m tall and has a center of gravity 1.1 m from his feet rappels down a vertical cliff with his body raised 35.0° above the horizontal. He holds the rope 1.40m from his feet, and it makes a 25.0° angle with the cliff face.

(a) What tension does his rope need to support?
(b) Find the horizontal and vertical components of the force that the cliff face exerts on the climber's feet.
(c) What minimum coefficient of static friction is needed to prevent the climber's feet from slipping on the cliff face if he has one foot at a time against the cliff?

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum\tau=0[/itex]

[itex]\sum F=0[/itex]

[itex]\tau=rxF = rFsin \theta[/itex]

[itex]f_k=\mu_kn[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher went through the problem with us, but I only have his notes as I was sick that day, and I don't quite understand everything. The following is his work:

(a) [itex]\sum\tau=0[/itex]

[itex]T(1.4m)cos(10°) - mg(1.1)cos(35°)=0[/itex]

[itex]T=525 N[/itex]

I'm confused as to how exactly he figured out to use the 10° with cos? I understand that the angle between the rope and the person is 100° and in order to calculate torque, we must use perpendicular (90°) forces, so 100°-90°=10°, but how did he know to cos it?

(b) and (c) I understand. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Right, the rope makes an angle of 100° with the body. With this in mind, you can draw a component vector that begins from the body and goes up to the tip of the tension vector, in such way that the component is perpendicular to the body.
You have then a 90°-80°-10° triangle, from which you can find the component of tension for torque: T cos 10°. You could also use T sin 80°. :)

What is rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium is a state in which an object is not rotating and has no net torque acting upon it. This means that the sum of all the torques acting on the object is equal to zero, and the object will remain at rest or in a constant state of rotation.

How is rotational equilibrium different from static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is at rest, with no net forces acting on it. This can occur in both linear and rotational motion. Rotational equilibrium specifically refers to a state of balance in which an object is not rotating, but still has the potential to do so if a torque is applied.

What factors affect rotational equilibrium?

The key factors that affect rotational equilibrium are the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the object, the distance of those forces from the axis of rotation, and the mass and distribution of mass of the object. These factors can either create a state of rotational equilibrium or cause the object to rotate.

How is rotational equilibrium calculated?

To calculate rotational equilibrium, we use the principle of moments, which states that the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This can be expressed mathematically as ΣF x d = 0, where ΣF is the sum of all the forces acting on the object and d is the distance from the axis of rotation.

Why is rotational equilibrium important in science and engineering?

Rotational equilibrium is important in science and engineering because it allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in rotational motion. It is essential in designing structures and machines that need to maintain a constant state of rotation or remain at rest. Understanding rotational equilibrium also helps us understand the principles of balance, stability, and torque, which have applications in various fields such as physics, mechanics, and biomechanics.