1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Inertia of a Cube

1. Jan 1, 2007 #1
    Does anyone know what the rotational inertia of a cube of uniform density is when it is rotated about an edge? Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

I suggest you start with the definition of rotational inertia of a rigid body of uniform density.

4. Jan 1, 2007 #3
    I=integral(r^2,m)

but then what do I do?
    I'd use the parallel axis theorem but I don't know how to find the rotational inertia for a cube about it's center of mass.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  5. Jan 1, 2007 #4
    You need to be able to derive the equation; you can't look it up (in your textbook, etc.)?

6. Jan 1, 2007 #5
    [tex]
    I = \int r^2 \,dm = \rho \int r^2 \,dV
    [/tex]
    where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density of the cube (assumed to be uniform).

You can then convert r into a Cartesian equivalent, then split dV into dx, dy, dz and do a triple integral.

7. Jan 1, 2007 #6
    I think you should consider the cube from above a plane with greater mass--that is-- 1/12(m)(2L^2). Then parallel axis it.

8. Jan 2, 2007 #7
    So would it be [tex]
    I = \iiint_{0}^{L} x^2+y^2+z^2 \,dxdydz
    [/tex] where L is the length of a side?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  9. Jan 2, 2007 #8
    Also, Ja4Coltrane, I don't understand what you mean. Could you please elaborate?

10. Jan 2, 2007 #9

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

r is the distance from the axis of rotation, not from the centre. If you are rotating about the z axis, then r^2 = x^2 + y^2.

Re Ja4Coltane's post, possibly he means the inertia of the cube about one edge is essentially the same as the inertia of a square about one corner. The thickness contributes to the mass, but it doesn't affect the geometric part of the formula.

11. Jan 2, 2007 #10
    So is [tex] I = \rho \iiint_{0}^{L} x^2+y^2+z^2 \,dxdydz [/tex] the rotational inertial of a cube rotated about a corner?

12. Jan 2, 2007 #11

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean by "the rotational inertial about the origin"? I know what rotation inertia about a line is, and I know what the rotation inertia tensor about a point is (and it's got 6 independent components, not just one).

The rotation inertia about the edge defined by (x=0, y=0) is [tex] I = \iiint_{0}^{L} x^2+y^2 \,dxdydz [/tex] That's very similar to the inertia of a square about one corner.

13. Jan 2, 2007 #12

radou

Homework Helper

You can use the rotational inertia of a thin plate around the axis perpendicular to the plane of the plate to derive the moment of inertia of a cube around an edge.

Edit: this link may be of some use: http://hypertextbook.com/physics/mechanics/rotational-inertia/.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?