Stability of rigid body rotation about different axes

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Leo Liu
Messages
353
Reaction score
156
Homework Statement
Below
Relevant Equations
NA
1611749917744.png

We know that for a non-rigid body, the most stable type of rotation of it is the rotation about the axis with the maximum momentum of inertia and thus the lowest kinetic energy. However, for this question involving a rigid body, the most stable axis is the one with the lowest moment of inertia. Why is it so?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Leo Liu said:
We know that for a non-rigid body, the most stable type of rotation of it is the rotation about the axis with the maximum momentum of inertia and thus the lowest kinetic energy. However, for this question involving a rigid body, the most stable axis is the one with the lowest moment of inertia. Why is it so?
I'm no expert but I don't follow what you have written. If you look-up 'tennis racket theorem' you should find it helpful.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Leo Liu
Steve4Physics said:
I'm no expert but I don't follow what you have written. If you look-up 'tennis racket theorem' you should find it helpful.
Here is my reasoning I came up with after looking at the wiki article:
This object has two axes whose inertias are equal. So the rotation about either of these axes is unstable. If we apply euler's equations to this question, the functions of the angles will not show periodicity and will diverge; thus it is unstable.
Your reply is helpful. Thanks.
 
Leo Liu said:
We know that for a non-rigid body, the most stable type of rotation of it is the rotation about the axis with the maximum momentum of inertia and thus the lowest kinetic energy.
We do? I would not have thought one could be so general about rotation of non-rigid bodies.
For rigid bodies, the max and min are both stable.
Leo Liu said:
This object has two axes whose inertias are equal.
Not so.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Leo Liu
Leo Liu said:
This object has two axes whose inertias are equal.
The question says the thickness is negligible. So we can treat the object as a lamina and use the perpendicular axis theorem. That should help you to establish the 3 moments of inertia are different and their relative sizes.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Leo Liu
haruspex said:
We do? I would not have thought one could be so general about rotation of non-rigid bodies.
For rigid bodies, the max and min are both stable.
Well I was thinking that a non rigid body might dissipate energy through heat. But yeah what I said was too absolute.
haruspex said:
Not so.
Sorry just realized they are disks as opposed to spheres. :oops: