Rotational inertia of arm lifting a cup

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
lyl926
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Doc Holliday takes his last shot of whiskey. His forearm and hand spans 18" and weighs 2lbs. The shotglass and its intoxicating contents weighs 5ozs. (there are 16 ozs in one pound). Doc remains otherwise motionless as his elbow bends, tossing back the whiskey.
Calculate the rotational inertia of the arm + drink.


Homework Equations


τ=Iα (torque=rotational inertia x alpha)

and the equations in the file i attached

The Attempt at a Solution



Since the cup is point mass and that arm I think is rigid mass(?),
I used
I = (1/3)mL² + something
I don't know which of the equations from the file the something should be..
My friend used I=mR² but I'm not sure how that works..
 
Attachments
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
By definition, the moment of inertia of a point mass is md^2. Every other moment of inertia you've encountered--1/3ML^2, 2/5MR^2, 2/3MR^3, whatever--is derived from I=md^2.