1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational inertia of particle system

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    The masses and coordinates of four particles are indicated in the following table.
    40 g x = 1.0 cm y = -4.0 cm
    25 g x = 2.0 cm y = 4.0 cm
    30 g x = -3.0 cm y = 5.0 cm
    35 g x = 4.0 cm y = 4.0 cm

(a) What is the rotational inertia of this collection about the x axis?
    g·cm2

(b) What is the rotational inertia of this collection about the y axis?
    g·cm2

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly don't really know where to start with this problem. I know it's not a continuous body, so I wouldn't solve it through integration, but there's not really anything in the chapter that discusses multiple points in the xy plane.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2007 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Rotation inertia is simply the resistance to rotational (or "angular" acceleration). Every object will have a rotational inertia with respect to any point in the universe. The simple equation for rotational inertia is I=mr^2.

Careful: when x=1 cm, that means it is 1 cm from the y-axis.

For a group of individual points, you just sum all the individual inertias. The next step will be integration for solid objects.

4. Oct 1, 2007 #3
    - That's what I was thinking about doing, but my problem was that I wasn't sure of where to take my origin at so I could get my r. Would I just take the point (0,0) as the origin and get the r from that?

5. Oct 1, 2007 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's simpler. The system of points will be rotated about the x-axis first, so the "r's" are the straight line distances to the axes.

If you were to rotate the system about the z-axis, then you would find the distance to the origin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?