Rotational inertia of particle system

In summary, the rotational inertia about the x-axis for the given collection of particles is 85 g·cm2 and the rotational inertia about the y-axis is 105 g·cm2. The rotational inertia is found by summing the individual inertias, calculated using the equation I=mr^2, where r is the straight line distance to the axis of rotation.
snoggerT
The masses and coordinates of four particles are indicated in the following table.
40 g x = 1.0 cm y = -4.0 cm
25 g x = 2.0 cm y = 4.0 cm
30 g x = -3.0 cm y = 5.0 cm
35 g x = 4.0 cm y = 4.0 cm

(a) What is the rotational inertia of this collection about the x axis?
g·cm2

(b) What is the rotational inertia of this collection about the y axis?
g·cm2

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't really know where to start with this problem. I know it's not a continuous body, so I wouldn't solve it through integration, but there's not really anything in the chapter that discusses multiple points in the xy plane.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rotation inertia is simply the resistance to rotational (or "angular" acceleration). Every object will have a rotational inertia with respect to any point in the universe. The simple equation for rotational inertia is I=mr^2.

Careful: when x=1 cm, that means it is 1 cm from the y-axis.

For a group of individual points, you just sum all the individual inertias. The next step will be integration for solid objects.

Chi Meson said:
Rotation inertia is simply the resistance to rotational (or "angular" acceleration). Every object will have a rotational inertia with respect to any point in the universe. The simple equation for rotational inertia is I=mr^2.

Careful: when x=1 cm, that means it is 1 cm from the y-axis.

For a group of individual points, you just sum all the individual inertias. The next step will be integration for solid objects.

- That's what I was thinking about doing, but my problem was that I wasn't sure of where to take my origin at so I could get my r. Would I just take the point (0,0) as the origin and get the r from that?

No, it's simpler. The system of points will be rotated about the x-axis first, so the "r's" are the straight line distances to the axes.

If you were to rotate the system about the z-axis, then you would find the distance to the origin

1. What is rotational inertia of a particle system?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. For a particle system, it is the sum of the individual particles' masses and their squared distances from the axis of rotation.

2. How is rotational inertia different from mass?

While mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion, rotational inertia is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. In other words, mass affects an object's linear acceleration, while rotational inertia affects its rotational acceleration.

3. What factors affect the rotational inertia of a particle system?

The rotational inertia of a particle system is affected by the mass and distribution of the particles within the system, as well as the distance of the particles from the axis of rotation. The shape and size of the system also play a role in determining its rotational inertia.

4. How is rotational inertia calculated?

The rotational inertia of a particle system is calculated by multiplying the mass of each particle by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and then summing these values for all particles in the system. The resulting value is typically denoted as "I" and has units of kg·m².

5. How does rotational inertia affect the motion of a particle system?

The greater the rotational inertia of a particle system, the more resistance it will have to changes in its rotational motion. This means that a system with a higher rotational inertia will require more force to rotate or change its rotational speed compared to a system with a lower rotational inertia.