1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have Inertia Tensor for Object. Find It for Object after Rotation

1. Mar 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let's say I have a coordinate system that has (0,0,0) at the CM of an object, and I know the object's inertia tensor for that coordinate, T. (T is a 3x3 inertia tensor where (1,1) is moment of inertia about x-axis, (2,2) is moment of inertia about y-axis, and (3,3) is moment of inertia about z-axis).

I then rotate the object about its CM by a degrees about x-axis, b degrees about y-axis, and c degrees about the z-axis. I am using the convention where a positive angle rotates the object clockwise if the positive portion of the axis about which rotation is happening is approaching you from your viewing spot.

Is there a simple matrix transform I can do to T to find the new inertia tensor, T'? This is for a coding project. As of now, I am recomputing T' for each orientation. I would like to speed things up if possible. I am searching online with little success. If one of you gentlemen or ladies knows the relation off the top of your head, it would save me much time!

EDIT: I found something about finding the inertia tensor for a new, rotated coordinate. Is it the case that rotating an object a b and c would be the tensor found about the coordinates rotated -a -b and -c?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2012 #2
    Here is the answer for future people with this question:
    Let us say you know the rotation matrix to rotate a set of x,y, and z coordinates like so:
    [tex]\begin{pmatrix}
    x_{new}\\
    y_{new}\\
    z_{new}
    \end{pmatrix}
    = R
    \begin{pmatrix}
    x\\
    y\\
    z
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]
    And you rotated your object using R. If you have T, the old inertia tensor before rotation, the new one is found by
    [tex]T_{new} = RTR^T[/tex]

However, and this is an annoying lack of complete resource from places I searched (I had to derive this myself), if you have (LIKE IN MATLAB) a rotation matrix used like so:
    [tex]\begin{pmatrix}
    x_{new} & y_{new} & z_{new}
    \end{pmatrix}
    =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    x & y & z
    \end{pmatrix}
    R
    [/tex]

Then, we have
    [tex]T_{new} = R^T T R[/tex]

R is a 3x3 rotation matrix. In MATLAB, your rotation matrix will be 4x4. Simply discard 4th row and column.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook