Angular Kinematics & Moment of Inertia: IforPointM

In summary: Thanks!Could u give an example on mass 1 please! Thanks!In summary, the rotational inertia of a collection of four point masses is as follows: Mass 1 has the highest rotational inertia about the x axis, Mass 2 has the highest rotational inertia about the y axis, Mass 3 has the highest rotational inertia about the z axis, and Mass 4 has the highest rotational inertia about the x axis and the y axis.
huybinhs

Homework Statement

Four point masses are arranged on the xy plane as follows.

Mass1 = 27.0 grams at x = 2.00 cm and y = 2.00 cm.

Mass2 = 31.0 grams at x = 0.00 cm and y = 4.00 cm.

Mass3 = 49.0 grams at x = -3.00 cm and y = -3.00 cm.

Mass4 = 31.0 grams at x = -1.00 cm and y = 2.00 cm.

a) What is the rotational inertia if this collection of masses is rotating about the x axis?

b) What is the rotational inertia if this collection of masses is rotating about the y axis?

c)What is the rotational inertia if this collection of masses is rotating about the z axis?

Homework Equations

I = mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to change to the right units:

Mass 1 = 0.027 kg at x = 0.02 m and y = 0.02 m

Mass 2 = 0.031 kg at x = 0.00 m and y = 0.04 m

Mass 3 = 0.049 kg at x = -0.03 m and y = -0.03 m

Mass 4 = 0.031 kg at x = -0.01 m and y = 0.02 m

Now I know each mass, and converted to the right units. What should I do next? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The moment of inertia about an axis is

[tex]I = \sum_i m_i r_i^2,[/tex]

where [tex]r_i[/tex] is the distance from the point [tex]i[/tex] to the axis of rotation. For each part you will need to compute the distances from each mass to the relevant axis of rotation and then compute that sum. It will probably help to draw a picture for yourself.

fzero said:
The moment of inertia about an axis is

[tex]I = \sum_i m_i r_i^2,[/tex]

where [tex]r_i[/tex] is the distance from the point [tex]i[/tex] to the axis of rotation. For each part you will need to compute the distances from each mass to the relevant axis of rotation and then compute that sum. It will probably help to draw a picture for yourself.

Ok, so on mass 1, we have x = 0.02 m and y = 0.02m. Therefore we the mass on those point (0.02, 0.02), so how can I find ri ?

huybinhs said:
Ok, so on mass 1, we have x = 0.02 m and y = 0.02m. Therefore we the mass on those point (0.02, 0.02), so how can I find ri ?

The value of ri depends on which axis of rotation you are considering. It's best to draw a picture in the x-y plane with all of the points on it. Then you'll be able to just read off the distances from the x and y axes. For the z axis you can use the Pythagorean formula.

fzero said:
The value of ri depends on which axis of rotation you are considering. It's best to draw a picture in the x-y plane with all of the points on it. Then you'll be able to just read off the distances from the x and y axes. For the z axis you can use the Pythagorean formula.

Could u give an example on mass 1 please!

1. What is angular kinematics?

Angular kinematics is the study of the motion and position of objects in a circular or rotational motion. It involves the analysis of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How is angular kinematics different from linear kinematics?

Angular kinematics deals with motion in a circular or rotational path, while linear kinematics deals with motion in a straight line. Angular kinematics also involves the concept of angular velocity and acceleration, which are not present in linear kinematics.

3. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass and distribution of mass of the object.

4. How does moment of inertia affect an object's motion?

The moment of inertia determines how much torque is needed to accelerate an object in a rotational motion. The larger the moment of inertia, the more torque is needed to produce the same angular acceleration.

5. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by summing the products of each small mass element in the object and its square of distance from the axis of rotation. It can also be derived from the object's mass distribution and geometry using mathematical equations.