Rotational Inertia of a Rigid Body with Joined Rods

• Thread starter Shatzkinator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotational
In summary, the problem involves finding the rotational inertia of a rigid body made of two thin rods with lengths 0.30 m and 0.60 m respectively. Part (a) requires finding the rotational inertia about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the paper and passing through the center of the shorter rod, while part (b) requires finding the rotational inertia about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the paper and passing through the center of the longer rod.
Shatzkinator

Homework Statement

The masses and coordinates of four particles are as follows: 27 g, x = 2.0 cm, y = 2.0 cm; 16 g, x = 0, y = 4.0 cm; 43 g, x = -3.0 cm, y = -3.0 cm; 61 g, x = -2.0 cm, y = 4.0 cm. What are the rotational inertias of this collection about the (a) x, (b) y, and (c) z axes?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure.. would I use parallel axis theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to solve this problem.. help please =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Shatzkinator said:
I'm not sure.. would I use parallel axis theorem?

Hi Shatzkinator! :smile:

You only need the parallel axis theorem for a solid body, for which you already know the moment of inertia about its c.o.m.

These are just point masses, so just use the definition of moment of inertia (rotational inertia) :wink:

Two thin rods (each of mass 0.50 kg) are joined together to form a rigid body as shown in Fig. 10-66. One of the rods has length L1 = 0.30 m, and the other has length L2 = 0.60 m. What is the rotational inertia of this rigid body about (a) an axis that is perpendicular to the plane of the paper and passes through the center of the shorter rod and (b) an axis that is perpendicular to the plane of the paper and passes through the center of the longer rod?

Fig. 10-66
Problem 114.

also this question i can't get part B

Related to Rotational Inertia of a Rigid Body with Joined Rods

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass around its axis of rotation.

2. How is rotational inertia different from mass?

Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion, while rotational inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. They are related but different concepts.

3. How do you calculate rotational inertia?

The formula for rotational inertia is I = m*r^2, where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass.

4. What factors affect rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia is affected by three main factors: mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with larger mass, more spread out mass, and a more compact shape will have a higher rotational inertia.

5. Why is rotational inertia important?

Rotational inertia is important because it helps us understand and predict how objects will behave when rotating. It is also essential in many practical applications, such as designing vehicles, machines, and sports equipment.