Rotational Kinematics Football Problem

In summary, the question asks for the number of revolutions a football makes while in the air after being thrown by a quarterback with a linear speed of 21 m/s and a spin rate of 9.0 rev/s. Using the kinematic equation, the initial velocity, acceleration, and angle of the throw, an attempt was made to calculate the time the ball spends in the air. However, this calculation only accounted for the ball reaching maximum height and not returning back down. The correct answer is actually 30 revolutions.
lolcheelol

Homework Statement

A quarterback throws a pass that is a perfect spiral. In other words, the football does not wobble, but spins smoothly about an axis passing through each end of the ball. Suppose the ball spins at 9.0 rev/s. In addition, the ball is thrown with a linear speed of 21 m/s at an angle of 51° with respect to the ground. If the ball is caught at the same height at which it left the quarterback's hand, how many revolutions has the ball made while in the air?

Vf = 21 m/s
Vo = 0 m/s
θ = 51°
ω = 9.0 rev/s
a = 9.81m/s^2

Homework Equations

ω = Δθ/Δt

V = Vo + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I derived this from the kinematic equation
V-Vo/a = t

so then I have
(sin(51°)*21/ms))/9.81m/s^2 = 1.66

then
9.0*1.66 = 15 rev

The problem is that answer is wrong and I have NO idea where I went wrong...any help would be greatly appreciated.

The actual answer is 30rev

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lolcheelol said:

Homework Statement

A quarterback throws a pass that is a perfect spiral. In other words, the football does not wobble, but spins smoothly about an axis passing through each end of the ball. Suppose the ball spins at 9.0 rev/s. In addition, the ball is thrown with a linear speed of 21 m/s at an angle of 51° with respect to the ground. If the ball is caught at the same height at which it left the quarterback's hand, how many revolutions has the ball made while in the air?

Vf = 21 m/s
Vo = 0 m/s
θ = 51°
ω = 9.0 rev/s
a = 9.81m/s^2

Homework Equations

ω = Δθ/Δt

V = Vo + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I derived this from the kinematic equation
V-Vo/a = t

so then I have
(sin(51°)*21/ms))/9.81m/s^2 = 1.66

then
9.0*1.66 = 15 rev

The problem is that answer is wrong and I have NO idea where I went wrong...any help would be greatly appreciated.

The actual answer is 30rev

If you have half the answer, perhaps you only considered the time taken for the ball to reach maximum height, and forgot about it coming back down again ?

1. What is rotational kinematics in relation to a football?

Rotational kinematics is the study of the motion of an object in a circular or rotational path. In the case of a football, it refers to the spinning motion of the ball as it is kicked or thrown.

2. How does rotational kinematics affect the flight of a football?

The rotational motion of a football can significantly impact its flight. The spin of the ball creates a gyroscopic effect, causing it to stabilize and maintain its trajectory. The direction of the spin also affects the movement of the ball, such as a curve or a knuckleball.

3. What factors influence the rotational kinematics of a football?

The rotational kinematics of a football can be affected by several factors, including the initial force or velocity applied to the ball, the shape and texture of the ball, and the air resistance or drag acting upon it.

4. How do scientists measure the rotational kinematics of a football?

Scientists use various tools and techniques to measure the rotational kinematics of a football, such as high-speed cameras, motion capture systems, and sensors. These tools can track the position, velocity, and acceleration of the ball as it moves.

5. Can the rotational kinematics of a football be manipulated to improve performance?

Yes, the rotational kinematics of a football can be altered by changing the angle and velocity of the kick or throw. Players can also manipulate the spin of the ball to create specific movements, such as a curve or a knuckleball, to deceive opponents and improve their chances of scoring.