1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinematics Football Problem

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A quarterback throws a pass that is a perfect spiral. In other words, the football does not wobble, but spins smoothly about an axis passing through each end of the ball. Suppose the ball spins at 9.0 rev/s. In addition, the ball is thrown with a linear speed of 21 m/s at an angle of 51° with respect to the ground. If the ball is caught at the same height at which it left the quarterback's hand, how many revolutions has the ball made while in the air?

Vf = 21 m/s
    Vo = 0 m/s
    θ = 51°
    ω = 9.0 rev/s
    a = 9.81m/s^2

2. Relevant equations

ω = Δθ/Δt

V = Vo + at

3. The attempt at a solution

I derived this from the kinematic equation
    V-Vo/a = t

so then I have
    (sin(51°)*21/ms))/9.81m/s^2 = 1.66

then
    9.0*1.66 = 15 rev

The problem is that answer is wrong and I have NO idea where I went wrong...any help would be greatly appreciated.

The actual answer is 30rev

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

If you have half the answer, perhaps you only considered the time taken for the ball to reach maximum height, and forgot about it coming back down again ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook