1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinetic Energy - Clarification on what I need to solve for!

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wheel (solid cylinder), mass of 13 kg and radius of 0.33m is initially at rest. The wheel undergoes an angular acceleration of 5 rad/s^2 for 18 seconds, rotating about its center axis (no translation). Find the Kinetic energy of the wheel at the end of the 1 seconds.

2. Relevant equations
    KE = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2 I*w^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay so I was a little confused on whether I am finding the Total KE, or just th rotational KE.

If I were solving for total, KE = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2 I*w^2
    First I need to solve for v, which I got to be 29.7, by employing the formula v=wr

I solved the equation for total KE and got 5765.438, where 5733.58 = 1/2mv^2 and 31.85 = is equal to 1/2 I W^2.

If I just needed to find the KE rot, then the answer would be 31.85.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The question does say no translation, so I assume you just need to get the rotational kinetic energy.

EDIT: How did you get so little rotational kinetic energy? Did you apply 1/2Iw2 correctly?

4. Jun 11, 2009 #3
    Thank you ! I may have done that wrong. I will chck it over

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook