Rotational Kinetic Energy of a sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the kinetic energy of a small sphere rolling without slipping in a hemispherical bowl and the fraction of that kinetic energy associated with rotation about an axis through its center of mass. The equations used are KE = 1/2 mv^2, KErot = 1/2 Iw^2, and Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a(yf-yi). The solution involves solving for v using the equations mg(R-r) = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2 and w = v/r, and then finding the rotational kinetic energy and calculating the percentage of the total kinetic energy.
kelslee28

Homework Statement

A small sphere, with radius 1.6 cm and mass 5.2 kg, rolls without slipping on the inside of a large fixed hemispherical bowl with radius 0.82 m and a vertical axis of symmetry. It starts at the top from rest. What is the kinetic energy of the sphere at the bottom?
What fraction of its kinetic energy at the bottom (in percent) is associated with rotation about an axis through its center of mass?

prob10.gif

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2 mv2
KErot = 1/2Iw2
Vf2 = Vi2 + 2a(yf-yi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the answer to the first question. My final equation was KE = mg(r2 - 0.5r1). r1 being the ball and r2 is the ramp.
My attempt at the second question was to find the KE and then subtract that from the total KE. When I came up with an equation for KE it was the same exact thing as the equation for my total KE, so I couldn't really subtract them to find the KErot.
I knew that KE = 1/2 mv2 so I used Vf2 = Vi2 + 2a(yf-yi) to find V2 and got that V2 = 2g(r1-0.5r2). Plugging this into the KE equation gives me the same equation [KE= mg(r[SUB]2[/SUB] - 0.5r1)]

PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
you found the total kinetic energy at the bottom. Because the sphere is rolling what is the total kinetic energy equal to?

also note:

[tex]\omega=\frac{v}{r}[/tex]

I can't use the constant acceleration equation because it's not in freefall. What I needed to do, which now I have figured out, is solve for v using the fact that mg(R-r) = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2 where w = v/r

Then use that V to solve for the rotational kinetic energy. Divide this by the total kinetic energy and multiply by 100 to get percent.

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. It is proportional to the square of the object's angular velocity and its moment of inertia.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated for a sphere?

The rotational kinetic energy of a sphere can be calculated using the formula E = (1/2) * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia of the sphere, and ω is the angular velocity of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the rotational kinetic energy of a sphere?

The rotational kinetic energy of a sphere is affected by its moment of inertia, which depends on the mass and distribution of the mass within the sphere, and its angular velocity. Other factors such as external torque and friction can also affect rotational kinetic energy.

4. How is rotational kinetic energy related to linear kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy and linear kinetic energy are both forms of kinetic energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In a rolling motion, these two forms of energy are related by the equation E = (1/2) * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its linear velocity.

5. Can rotational kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, rotational kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy such as heat or sound. For example, when a spinning top slows down and eventually stops, its rotational kinetic energy is converted into heat due to friction between the top and the surface it is spinning on.