1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Motion and Law of Gravity

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    a) Two objects attract each other with a gravitational force of magnitude 9.30 x10-9 N when separated by 19.4 cm. If the total mass of the objects is 5.06 kg, what is the mass of each?

Heavier mass_______kg
    Lighter mass______ kg

my attempt:
    F=Gm1m2/r^2
    so I rearranged to get m1 and m2 by itself and got (r^2)(F)/G=m1m2
    5.247598=m1m2
    but how do I get the mass for m1 and m2 separately is m1 + m2 = 5.06 kg?

b) A dental bracket exerts a horizontal force of 86.2 N on a tooth at point B in the figure. What is the torque on the root of the tooth about point A? (PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHMENT FOR THE PICTURE)

I know I need to break the forces up into components but I am lost on this question. Please help me! Thank you

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the total mass is given as 5.06 kg, so m1 + m2 = 5.06 kg. Replace one of the masses, say m2, with m2 = (5.06 kg - m1).

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    I used this and found my answer to be .433 and 4.627 but its wrong. Do i have my formula correct?

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4

gneill

Your formula (Newton's law of gravitation) looks okay. Perhaps something went wrong in your math manipulations. If you post your calculations they can be checked.

6. Nov 7, 2011 #5
    actually I just solved it! It was just a silly error! But thank you for your help

Do you have nay idea how to do part b ?

7. Nov 7, 2011 #6

gneill

What are your thoughts? What do you think you need to know in order to proceed?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook