Rotational Motion Homework: Hoop Rolling on 15 Deg Incline

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
pb23me
Messages
204
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A hoop rolling on a horizontal surface with a speed v=3.3m/s when it reaches a 15 deg incline.How far up the incline does it go?How long will it be on the incline before it reaches the botttom?


Homework Equations


I=mr2
conservation energy going up=2gyf=r2+vi2
conservation energy going down=2gyi=r[itex]\omega[/itex]2+v2
yf=sin(15)
circumference=2r[itex]\pi[/itex]=8.5m


The Attempt at a Solution

i used the conservation of energy equation and solved for r getting r=1.36m. I had my calculator in radian mode not sure what mode i should have had it in. Then i plugged the radius back in and got yf=.65m , sin(15) was also .65m so hypotenuse =1m. Then i used conservation of energy down equation and solved for [iex]\omega[/itex] getting [itex]\omega[/itex]=2rad/s i found how many radians the hoop went through by noting that the hypotenuse was 1m long so 1/8.5(2[itex]\pi[/itex])=.74 rad
so [itex]\omega[/itex]=.74rad/t=.37s
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pb23me said:
I=mr2
Good.
conservation energy going up=2gyf=r2+vi2
Rethink this. You're missing an ω2. (Check the units of each term.)

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b] i used the conservation of energy equation and solved for r getting r=1.36m.
The radius is not given and could be anything. (That should tip you off that something's wrong with your conservation equation.)

Hint: The hoop is rolling without slipping, so how are v and ω related?
 
oh ok i forgot to put the[itex]\omega[/itex] in so it should be (r[itex]\omega[/itex])2+v2=2gyf so yf=1.1m and distance up =1.7m I am confused about what mode to have my calculator in? rads or degs?
 
pb23me said:
oh ok i forgot to put the[itex]\omega[/itex] in so it should be (r[itex]\omega[/itex])2+v2=2gyf so yf=1.1m
Good.
and distance up =1.7m I am confused about what mode to have my calculator in? rads or degs?
Since the angle is given in degrees, use the degree mode.
 
ok so i used the equation 2gyf=r^2+vi^2 solved for yf and got yf=1.1m so sin(15)=1.1/h hypotenuse=.43m I am getting stuck on the last part now,solving for the time.I think i need the radius of the loop but can't seem to figure it out...
 
pb23me said:
ok so i used the equation 2gyf=r^2+vi^2 solved for yf and got yf=1.1m so sin(15)=1.1/h hypotenuse=.43m
Careful with your arithmetic.
I am getting stuck on the last part now,solving for the time.I think i need the radius of the loop but can't seem to figure it out...
You won't be able to figure out the radius, but luckily its irrelevant. Hint: What's average speed of the hoop as it goes up (or down) the ramp?
 
Ok hypotenuse =4.25m and I thought the speed going up would be different than the speed going down because the hoop has an initial velocity going up.