Rotational Motion of a Hanging Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a ball of mass m on a string of length l, hanging from a frictionless pivot and released at an angle theta. The goal is to find the angular velocity, angular momentum, and the relationship between time and angular momentum. Using conservation of energy, the angular velocity is found to be w = sqrt(2g/l*(cos(theta) - cos(thetai))). However, the book's answer differs slightly, using cos(thetai) instead of cos(theta). The conversation then delves into finding the energy at an angle theta and equating it with the energy at angle thetai. This leads to the relationship between time and angular momentum, t = dL/dt.
interxavier

Homework Statement

Consider a ball of mass m on the end of a string of length l. It hangs from a frictionless pivot. The ball is pulled out so that the string makes an angle thetai with the vertical and is then released.
a. Find w (angular velocity) as a function of the angle the strings makes with the vertical. (Hint: Use conservation of energy.)
b. Find the angular momentum of the ball using |L| = ml^2w
c. Show that t = dL/dt by differentiating L and finding t from its definition.

Homework Equations

U1 + K1 = U2 + K2
V = rw

The Attempt at a Solution

for a:

The answer, according to the book, is w = sqrt(2g/l*(cos(theta) - cos(thetai)))

I used the conservation of energy and got w = sqrt(2g/l*(1 - cos(thetai))). I'm lost.. I don't know where the book got cos(theta)

Physics news on Phys.org
at an angle θi, find the energy at that point.

Now this energy is converted into gravitational pe and ke at an angle θ. Find this energy here.

Equate the two.

from.

Hello, thank you for sharing your work. I can see that you are on the right track in using the conservation of energy to solve for the angular velocity of the ball. However, there seems to be a small error in your calculation.

When using the conservation of energy, we need to consider the potential energy at both the initial and final positions. In this case, the initial potential energy is mgh (where h is the height of the ball) and the final potential energy is mgl(1-cosθ). Therefore, the equation should be:

mgh = mgl(1-cosθ) + 1/2Iw^2

where I is the moment of inertia of the ball (which can be approximated as ml^2 for a small, solid ball).

Solving for w from this equation, we get:

w = sqrt(2g/l*(cosθ - cosθi))

This is the same answer as the one given in the book. The difference is the initial potential energy term.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for part a. For parts b and c, you can use the formula for angular momentum (L = Iw) and differentiate it with respect to time to show that it is equal to the torque (t) acting on the ball.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

1. What is rotational motion of a hanging mass?

Rotational motion of a hanging mass refers to the circular motion of a mass that is suspended by a string or rope and allowed to swing freely.

2. What factors affect the rotational motion of a hanging mass?

The rotational motion of a hanging mass is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the object, the angle at which it is released, and the presence of any external forces such as air resistance.

3. How is the period of a hanging mass calculated?

The period of a hanging mass can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the string in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

4. What is the difference between simple and compound pendulums?

A simple pendulum consists of a single mass suspended by a string, while a compound pendulum has multiple masses distributed along its length. The period of a compound pendulum depends on its moment of inertia, while the period of a simple pendulum only depends on its length.

5. How does the rotational motion of a hanging mass relate to physics concepts?

The rotational motion of a hanging mass is a result of the interplay between gravitational force, tension force, and centripetal force. This motion can be explained using concepts such as torque, angular velocity, and centripetal acceleration.