A falling rotating rod strikes a ball of mass M....

In summary, a homogeneous rod of length l and mass m rotates freely in a vertical plane around a point A without friction. Initially in an unstable equilibrium position, the rod begins to fall and rotates around A until it collides with a ball of mass M at a distance l from the constraint. The collision is elastic and the rotational speed of the rod before the collision can be calculated using conservation of energy. To have the rod remain stationary after the collision, the mass M must be equal to m/3. The magnitude of the impulse transferred by the constraint can be calculated using the total momentum of the system, and it is completely directed along the x-axis. The forces, impulses, and accelerations involved are all vectors and can cancel out when
Nexus99
Homework Statement
is this correct?
Relevant Equations
conservation of energy, angular momentum ecc.
A homogeneous rod of length l and mass m is free to rotate in a vertical plane around a point A, the constraint is without friction.
Initially the rod is stopped in the position of unstable equilibrium, therefore it begins to fall rotating around A and hits, after a rotation of ## \pi ## , a ball of mass M resting on a plane at a distance l from the constraint.
The collision is elastic, calculate:
1) Rotational speed of the rod a moment before the collision
2) How much mass M should be so that the rod remain stationary after the collision
3) Magnitude of the impulse transferred by the constraint in the previous case

Cattura.PNG

I forgot to draw point A, but how you can image is where the rod begin looking the drawing from bottom to top

I did the problem in this way
1) Conservation of energy,
## E_i = mg \frac{3}{2} l ##
## E_f = mg \frac{1}{2} l + \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2 ## where ## I = \frac{ML^2}{3} ##
and i got ## \omega = \sqrt{\frac{6g}{l}} ##

2) Conservation of energy and angular momentum (calculating momentum from point A)

## mg \frac{1}{2} l + \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2 = \frac{1}{2}Mv^2 ##
## I \omega = Mv l ##
and i got:
## v = \sqrt{6 g l}## and ## M = \frac{m}{3} ##

3) ## J_R = - \Delta p_M ## since the center of mass of the rod is not moving after the collision
## J_R = - \frac{m}{3}\sqrt{6 g l} ##
is the problem correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you sort your Latex: use double hashes, not single hanshes.

Sorry, i edited my previous post

Okpluto said:
Sorry, i edited my previous post
The answers to parts 1) and 2) look correct. Can you explain the answer to 3)? Especially in terms of the total linear momentum of the system.

Okpluto said:
2) Conservation of energy and angular momentum (calculating momentum from point A)

## mg \frac{1}{2} l + \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2 = \frac{1}{2}Mv^2 ##
You got the right answer, but this equation should have the PE of the rod on both sides of the equation. Or, better, left out altogether, as it's the same before and after the collision.

PeroK said:
You got the right answer, but this equation should have the PE of the rod on both sides of the equation. Or, better, left out altogether, as it's the same before and after the collision.
Trying to explain the my solution i realized that i made a mistake:
## J_R = \Delta p_{tot} ## where ## p_{tot} ## stands fot total momentum of the system, not only the impulse given by the ball.
So i got:
## p_{tot} = \frac{m}{3}v - m \omega \frac{l}{2} = -m\frac{\omega}{6}l ##

Last edited by a moderator:
Okpluto said:
## J_R = \Delta p_{tot} ## where ## p_{tot} ## stands fot total momentum of the system, not only the impulse given by the ball.
So i got:
## p_{tot} = \frac{m}{3}v - m \omega \frac{l}{2} = -m\frac{\omega}{6} ##

Be careful. That answer is dimensionally inconsistent.

Likes Nexus99
PeroK said:
Be careful. That answer is dimensionally inconsistent.
sorry, i forgot an l, now should be ok

Okpluto said:
So i got:
## p_{tot} = \frac{m}{3}v - m \omega \frac{l}{2} = -m\frac{\omega}{6}l ##
It did say "magntitude" of the impulse, but that's a small issue!

PeroK said:
It did say "magntitude" of the impulse, but that's a small issue!
That's true:
## |\vec{J_R}| = m\frac{\omega}{6}l ##
I have a question, is the impulse completely directed along x axis?

Likes PeroK
Okpluto said:
I have a question, is the impulse completely directed along x axis?

Well, if you think about the rod just hanging there, we have the balanced forces of gravity and the restraining force at the pivot. The forces are balanced, so there is no motion. But, why not say that both forces are providing an equal an opposite impulse over a given time period? If impulse is force by time then why not?

Forces, impulses, accelerations are all vectors so they may cancel out when you add them.

That said, the impulse in the x-direction is a spike (large force over a short time giving a finite well-defined impulse); the impulse in the y-direction tends to zero as the time of the collision tends to zero, so is not particulary relevant in this case.

Interesting?!

PeroK said:
Well, if you think about the rod just hanging there, we have the balanced forces of gravity and the restraining force at the pivot. The forces are balanced, so there is no motion. But, why not say that both forces are providing an equal an opposite impulse over a given time period? If impulse is force by time then why not?

Forces, impulses, accelerations are all vectors so they may cancel out when you add them.

That said, the impulse in the x-direction is a spike (large force over a short time giving a finite well-defined impulse); the impulse in the y-direction tends to zero as the time of the collision tends to zero, so is not particulary relevant in this case.

Interesting?!
Ok understood, this happens because internal the restraining force is impulsive during the collision, right?

Okpluto said:
Ok understood, this happens because internal the restraining force is impulsive during the collision, right?
The reason there is an impulse is that the impact with the ball tries to rotate the rod about some point below the pivot. The pivot prevents this and provides an opposite torque, which is also the external force that reduces the linear momentum of the system. Angular momentum about the pivot, of course, is conserved.

PS I assumed they are talking about the impulse from the pivot during the collision only.

1. What is the initial velocity of the falling rotating rod?

The initial velocity of the falling rotating rod depends on the height from which it is dropped and the speed at which it is rotating. The higher the drop height and the faster the rotation, the greater the initial velocity will be.

2. How does the mass of the ball affect the collision with the rod?

The mass of the ball affects the collision with the rod in two ways. First, a heavier ball will experience a greater force from the impact of the rod, resulting in a larger change in its velocity. Second, a heavier ball will also exert a greater force on the rod, causing it to slow down more significantly after the collision.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum in this scenario?

In this scenario, the conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of the system (the rod and the ball) before the collision is equal to the total angular momentum after the collision. This means that the angular velocity of the rod and the ball will change after the collision, but their combined angular momentum will remain constant.

4. How does the angle at which the rod strikes the ball affect the outcome of the collision?

The angle at which the rod strikes the ball will affect the direction and magnitude of the force exerted on the ball. A direct hit (at a 90-degree angle) will result in the largest force and change in velocity for the ball, while a glancing blow (at a smaller angle) will result in a smaller force and change in velocity.

5. What factors can influence the outcome of the collision between the rod and the ball?

Several factors can influence the outcome of the collision between the rod and the ball, such as the initial velocity and rotation of the rod, the mass and initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which the rod strikes the ball, and any external forces acting on the system. Additionally, the properties of the materials and surfaces involved in the collision can also play a role in the outcome.