1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational motion of a turntable

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The turntable of a record player rotates at 33.33rev/min and takes 20.0s to reach this speed from rest. Calculate: a) its angular acceleration, b) the number of revolutions it makes before reaching its final speed.

2. Relevant equations
    angular acceleration = angular speed/ time
    1 rev = 2pie rad
    angular displacement = angular speed x time

3. The attempt at a solution
    part a:
    I converted the angular speed to rad/s. I solved for angular acceleration, which is delta angular speed divided by time.

3.49rad/s / 20.0s = 0.175 rad/s^2 Is that correct?

part b:
    I used the equation, angular speed = angular displacement/time.

therefore, angular displacement = angular speed x time
    3.49rad/s x 20.0s = 69.8rad

I then converted rad into revolutions --> 11.1 revolutions. Is that correct??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2
    Part A is correct.

For part B you're on the right track, but remember that would only work if the record were spinning at a constant speed of 3.49rad/s. But it is always changing as it goes from 0rad/s up to 3.49rad/s.

You want to do basically the same thing you did, except in place of 3.49rad/s you want to use the average angular velocity.
  4. Jul 15, 2010 #3

So for part b, average angular velocity will be 3.49/2 = 1.75 rad/s.

therefore, angular displacement = 1.75 x 20.0 = 35 rad --> 5.57 revolutions.
  5. Jul 15, 2010 #4
    Yup, that's it :D

Although, technically if you round here it would be 1.74 rad/s because of the round even rule, that many people are unaware of.
    But don't mind that lol, the answer is right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook