Calculate the magnitude of torque due to friction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
smad0002
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A rotating flywheel slows down only because of friction in its bearings. At the initial time ti, the angular speed of the flywheel is 2.0 rad/s. The power due to friction at a later time tf is half of the power due to friction at time ti. The angular displacement of the flywheel from ti to tf is 1.5 rad. The rotational inertia of the flywheel is 2.0 kgm2. Assume the torque due to friction is constant. Calculate :
a) The angular speed of the flywheel at time tf.
b) The magnitude of the work done by friction from ti to tf.
c) The magnitude of the torque due to friction.

Homework Equations


I believe they are the angular velocity equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried it several times but I couldn't get the correct answer of 2.

Any help is greatly appreciated midterms are tomorrow :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
smad0002 said:
I tried it several times but I couldn't get the correct answer of 2.
Show us the details of one or more of your attempts.
 
Which item are you trying to calculate to equal 2? Is it the torque, meaning that you successfully calculated parts a and b? What are the units of 2?