Calculate the magnitude of torque due to friction

In summary, the angular speed of a rotating flywheel decreases due to friction in its bearings. At the initial time ti, the angular speed is 2.0 rad/s and the power due to friction at a later time tf is half of the power at ti. The angular displacement from ti to tf is 1.5 rad and the rotational inertia is 2.0 kgm2. Assuming constant torque due to friction, the calculated values are:a) The angular speed at time tf is 1.0 rad/s.b) The magnitude of work done by friction from ti to tf is 3.0 J.c) The magnitude of torque due to friction is 2.0 Nm.
smad0002

Homework Statement

A rotating flywheel slows down only because of friction in its bearings. At the initial time ti, the angular speed of the flywheel is 2.0 rad/s. The power due to friction at a later time tf is half of the power due to friction at time ti. The angular displacement of the flywheel from ti to tf is 1.5 rad. The rotational inertia of the flywheel is 2.0 kgm2. Assume the torque due to friction is constant. Calculate :
a) The angular speed of the flywheel at time tf.
b) The magnitude of the work done by friction from ti to tf.
c) The magnitude of the torque due to friction.

Homework Equations

I believe they are the angular velocity equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried it several times but I couldn't get the correct answer of 2.

Any help is greatly appreciated midterms are tomorrow :(

Physics news on Phys.org
smad0002 said:
I tried it several times but I couldn't get the correct answer of 2.
Show us the details of one or more of your attempts.

Which item are you trying to calculate to equal 2? Is it the torque, meaning that you successfully calculated parts a and b? What are the units of 2?

1. What is torque due to friction?

Torque due to friction is the measure of the rotational force or moment produced by the resistance of two surfaces sliding against each other.

2. How is the magnitude of torque due to friction calculated?

The magnitude of torque due to friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces by the perpendicular force acting on the object.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of torque due to friction?

The magnitude of torque due to friction is affected by the coefficient of friction, the perpendicular force, and the distance between the point of rotation and the point where the force is applied.

4. What is the unit of measurement for torque due to friction?

The unit of measurement for torque due to friction is Newton-meters (N∙m) in the International System of Units (SI).

5. Why is calculating the magnitude of torque due to friction important?

Calculating the magnitude of torque due to friction is important in various engineering and mechanical applications, such as designing machines and structures, determining the stability of objects, and predicting the effects of friction on the performance of moving parts.