Rotational KE: Calculate Energy of 2 Astronauts | 739.3 J

• Thread starter Noor123
  • Start date
In summary, rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion and is dependent on mass, rotational speed, and moment of inertia. The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is moment of inertia and ω is angular velocity. The rotational kinetic energy of astronauts is important for their movement, stability, and balance in space. It is just one form of energy they possess, along with translational kinetic energy and potential energy. The rotational kinetic energy of astronauts can be changed by altering their moment of inertia or angular velocity.
Noor123
URGENT: rotatonal KE

Two astronauts each having a mass of 54 kg are connected by a 10 m rope of negligible mass. They are isolated in space, orbiting about their centre of mass at speeds of 3.7 m/s. Calculate the rotational energy of the two astronauts.

A. 739.3 J
B. 1478.5 J
C. 29.6 J
D. 317.9 J
E. 369.6 J

Which one is it?

I did:

KE= 1/2 (I + I) omega ^2

and it turned out to be A. Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's right.

Yes, your calculation is correct. The rotational energy of the two astronauts would be 739.3 J. This result can be obtained by using the formula for rotational kinetic energy, which takes into account the moment of inertia (I) and the angular velocity (omega) of the system. In this case, the moment of inertia would be equal for both astronauts since they have the same mass and are rotating together, and the angular velocity can be calculated using the given speed and radius of rotation. Therefore, the final result would be the same for both astronauts, resulting in a total rotational energy of 739.3 J.

What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is dependent on an object's mass, rotational speed, and moment of inertia.

How do you calculate rotational kinetic energy?

The formula for rotational kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where KE is kinetic energy, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. In this case, we would need to know the moment of inertia of the two astronauts and their angular velocity to calculate their rotational kinetic energy.

Why is the rotational kinetic energy of the astronauts important?

The rotational kinetic energy of the astronauts is important because it affects their ability to move and perform tasks in space. It also plays a role in their stability and balance while in orbit.

How does the rotational kinetic energy of the astronauts compare to other forms of energy?

The rotational kinetic energy of the astronauts is just one form of energy that they possess. They also have translational kinetic energy (from their movement through space) and potential energy (due to their position in the Earth's gravitational field). The total energy of the astronauts is the sum of all of these forms of energy.

Can the rotational kinetic energy of the astronauts be changed?

Yes, the rotational kinetic energy of the astronauts can be changed by altering their moment of inertia or their angular velocity. For example, if they extend their arms and legs, their moment of inertia will increase and their rotational kinetic energy will decrease. Similarly, if they change the speed at which they are rotating, their angular velocity will change and their rotational kinetic energy will be affected.