1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Row Reduction over indicated field

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    Hi-

I am taking linear algebra and the teacher threw some problems at us that I cannot seem to figure out or find examples for online. Also, the textbook doesn't even cover the material.

The problem states:
    Using Gauss-Jordan elimination, solve the following system with coefficients in indicated field.

In Z3:

2x + y = 1
    x + y = 2

Now I understand completely how to row reduce this system, but am not sure how to proceed in Z3.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The best thing to do here is to solve the system as you normally would and then interpret the solution in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_3[/itex].

So, how would you proceed normally?? Just write the first step, don't solve it completely yet.

4. Feb 3, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

The first thing I would do is swap row 1 and row 2 to get a leading 1 in row 1.

[1 1 l 2]
    [2 1 l 1]

From here would take R2-2R1.

5. Feb 3, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, so do R2-2R1. But be aware that the arithmetic is in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_3[/itex].

So, for example, the second column gives us 1-2*1=-1=2.

6. Feb 3, 2012 #5

Deveno

Science Advisor

or, (to keep it straight as you go) realize that -2 in Z3 is actually 1, so instead of R2-2R1, use R2+R1 (which gives you 3 = 0 in the first column).

that is, instead of aiming to "zero out" entries, you just want to get them to the nearest multiple of 3 (which amounts to the same thing in Z3). with a little practice, you can see how to do this and always keep all the entries positive, which might help a bit.

7. Feb 20, 2012 #6
    Thanks for the reply. The part I don't understand is how -1 = 2 and -2 = 1 in Z3. Would you be able to explain this part to me?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook