Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rubber stopper hanging from the view view mirror of a car

1. Jul 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 18g rubber stopper is suspended by a 45-cm string from the rear view mirror of a car. As the car accelerates eastward, the string makes an angle of 5.1 degrees with the vertical. Determine the acceleration of the car.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm totally stumped. There are no forces or anything given, not even sure what the diagram should look like : |. Help !

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What forces act on the stopper?

4. Jul 13, 2010 #3
    Gravity?
    And it's positioned at an angle because of inertia ? I don't think that can be drawn out as a force though.

5. Jul 13, 2010 #4

Doc Al

Yes, gravity is one of the two forces acting on the stopper. What's the other? (What's attached to the stopper?)

6. Jul 13, 2010 #5
    Oh right, tension !

So, from the rubber stopper, a force point outward diagonally (along the string) is the force of tension.
    And a force pointing directly downwards is gravity?

7. Jul 13, 2010 #6

Doc Al

Exactly!

8. Jul 13, 2010 #7
    Oh okay! One more thing --the length of the string is given. I get confused when questions about the magnitude of forces give me the length or distance of something. I'm not sure what I can do with that?

9. Jul 13, 2010 #8

Doc Al

Just analyze the forces as you normally would. Ignore any extraneous information given.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook