1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Runge-Kutta 4th order method (RK4) for second order Diff Eq

1. Apr 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, maybe this is due to my lack of understand of RK4, but I have an equation: x'' + b^2*x=0 (derivatives with respect to variable t) and I need to use RK4 to find the solution on an interval. I can readily find solutions analytically, but my understanding of RK4 is that I need the problem in a first order diff eq, which I do not accomplish when I use characteristic equations. Initial conditions are x(t)=0 and x'(0)=0. The intervals is 0 to 4[itex]\pi[/itex] and step sizes of h.

2. Relevant equations
    Find diff eq, such that y'=f(t,y)

RK4 equations:
    yn+1= yn + h/6*(k1 + 2*k2 + 2*k3 + k4)

k1=f(tn,yn)

k2=f(tn+h/2,yn+k1*h/2)

k3=f(tn+h/2,yn+k2*h/2)

k4=f(tn+h,yn+k3*h)

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt to break the problem to first order is a substitution with x'=v

And it follows that that: v'= -b^2*x = f(t,x).

Now I have two first order differential equations. I can use RK4 to get values for v and x, but it seems like my values of v depend on x and vice verse? Here is what I have so far, but it is coupled so I think it's wrong.

First I solved for the higher ordered one, aka v. So:

vn+1 = vn + 1/6*(l1 + 2*l2 + 2*l3 +l4).

Where:

l1= -b^2*xn*h
    l2= -b^2*xn*h*(1+h/2)
    l3= -b^2*xn*h*(1+h/2+h2/4)
    l4= -b^2*xn*h*(1+h/2+h2/2+h3/4)

Now I solved for x with the following:

xn+1 = xn + 1/6*(k1 + 2*k2 + 2*k3 + k4)

Where:
    k1= vn*h
    k2= vn*h*(1+h/2)
    k3= vn*h*(1+h/2+h2/4)
    k4= vn*h*(1+h/2+h2/2+h3/4)

Is this right? Since I have initial conditions I think I can build this up to the full solution since I know v0 and x0.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Sorry to say, but you got it all wrong! The point is to solve both equations at the same time, and use the intermediate solutions to get a better guess for the next intermediate solution, and when you have all 4 of them you take an "average" to actually advance one time step.

Check this thread for more details:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=671526

4. May 8, 2013 #3
    I have figured it out, thanks DrClaude.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted