Rusty of Calculus: Please check this derivative for me

• Thread starter edgepflow
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

d/dx [ (1/y) dy/dx) ] = ?

Please let me know !

Answers and Replies

Are you just asking what the derivative of 1/y is with respect to x? If that's the case you should give it a try first using implicit differentiation.

Are you just asking what the derivative of 1/y is with respect to x? If that's the case you should give it a try first using implicit differentiation.
Could I do the Product Rule:

d/dx [ (1/y) dy/dx) ] = (1/y) d^2 y / dx^2 - (1/y^2) dy/dx ?

I haven't taken calculus in quite some time, but this is the resource I use for all of the calculus that I've forgotten:

www.wolframalpha.com

It's EXTREMELY easy to use. So easy that all I needed to do was copy and paste straight from your post. The great thing is that for most problems, you can even click "Show Steps" next to the answer and it'll walk you through the problem. For this problem, you would use the quotient rule. (I'm assuming Y is a function of X... if it's not, then I don't think this solution is correct).

Here is the solution and steps: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=d/dx+[+%281%2Fy%29+*+%28dy%2Fdx%29+]

I haven't taken calculus in quite some time, but this is the resource I use for all of the calculus that I've forgotten:

www.wolframalpha.com

It's EXTREMELY easy to use. So easy that all I needed to do was copy and paste straight from your post. The great thing is that for most problems, you can even click "Show Steps" next to the answer and it'll walk you through the problem. For this problem, you would use the quotient rule. (I'm assuming Y is a function of X... if it's not, then I don't think this solution is correct).

Here is the solution and steps: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=d/dx+[+%281%2Fy%29+*+%28dy%2Fdx%29+]
Thanks DyslexicHobo. That link is what I needed!