S. Martin's Supersymmetry primer Metric

In summary, the conversation discusses S. Martin's Supersymmetry primer and the issue of different metrics being used by particle physicists. The conversation also mentions a mostly minus version of the primer and the recommendation of a book by Mueller-Kirsten for a comprehensive understanding of SUSY.
TriTertButoxy
Hi all,

S. Martin's Supersymmetry primer (http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9709356) is a wonderful source from which to learn SUSY.

But, what really causes me (and others around me) huge consternation is Martin's use of mostly plus metric, when particle physicists use the mostly minus metric. Given that minus signs are very important in SUSY, it would be nice to follow a primer that is in line with particle physicist's metric.

Is there a mostly minus version of the primer?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
NEVER MIND; Martin has provided the readers with a way to easily convert it:
Grab the source from the ArXiV, and change the following line in his tex file:

\def\signofmetric{1}

Well, the advantage is that it's a free source. Since spinorial calculul is the foundation of SuSy, such basic conventions do matter. If you're coming off a QFT book with the mostly minus convention, then you are not pleased. You have to do work on your own to adjust to the new convention. My reccomendation to anyone for the best written introduction to SuSy would be the book by Mueller-Kirsten. It leaves almost nothing to the reader.

I have Mueller-Kirsten's book. It is awesome; but they only go as far as setting up the machinery. Now I need to study MSSM and other non-perturbative physics. This is where Martin's primer comes in.

1. What is supersymmetry?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical concept in physics that proposes a symmetry between particles with integer and half-integer spin. It suggests that every known particle has a "superpartner" with a different spin, and that these particles could help explain some of the mysteries of the universe.

2. How does supersymmetry relate to S. Martin's Supersymmetry primer Metric?

S. Martin's Supersymmetry primer Metric is a mathematical tool used to study supersymmetry. It provides a framework for understanding the relationships between particles and their superpartners, and how they interact with each other.

3. What is the significance of supersymmetry in physics?

Supersymmetry has many potential implications in physics, including providing a solution to the hierarchy problem in the Standard Model, explaining dark matter, and unifying the forces of nature. It is also an important area of research in string theory and attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics with gravity.

4. How is the supersymmetry primer metric used in research?

The supersymmetry primer metric is used in various theoretical and experimental studies, particularly in the field of particle physics. It is used to calculate the properties and interactions of superpartners, and to test the validity of supersymmetric theories.

5. Are there any experimental confirmations of supersymmetry?

While there is currently no direct evidence for supersymmetry, there have been some experimental results that support its predictions. For example, the measured mass of the Higgs boson is consistent with what is expected in some supersymmetric theories. However, more research and data are needed to confirm its existence.