1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Salary Question

1. Dec 27, 2009 #1
    Let me first say that the answer to this question is not going to determine my career path; it is just to satisfy my curiosity. I am interested in the research and development nuclear fusion and would like to know how much people in this field make. I have scoured the internet and cannot find any information. Obviously, there is a lot of information on nuclear engineers: but I assume that this deals with people who work with fission, not fusion.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2009 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You realize that the answer is entirely dependent on the position...

Harrison Ford the actor and Joe Blow the 2nd assistant Craft Services guy both work in the film indiustry...

4. Dec 27, 2009 #3
    Im sorry. You are right, I wasnt clear. Just say that I am some researcher (with a PhD) working on developing fusion power (say at some company that is working on a tokamak). Not some entry-level or low-level worker. I dont have many specific details on the question because I simply dont know enough about the various positions. If I cant give you enough info, just forget I asked the question.

5. Dec 27, 2009 #4
    I'm going to guess 80K as a reasonably representative salary.

6. Dec 27, 2009 #5
    Do you know anything that would lead you to this guess? Are you in the field or are you just ballparking?

7. Dec 27, 2009 #6
    Just ballparking. The field is sufficiently thin to make it difficult to find anyone who actually works there. Try to find some names of companies/labs working on the thing, and then look them up on glassdoor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook