1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Salt concentration and its electrical resistance

1. Mar 30, 2017 #1
    What would be the theoretical relationship between/ a formula for the salt concentration in distilled water and its electrical resistance?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2017 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Is a salt water solution an ohmic conductor? i.e. does it even have an electrical resistance that can be quantified with a single number?

4. Mar 31, 2017 #3
    Depends on the concentration of salt in water. I am doing an investigation where salt would be the independent variable and its resistance would be dependent. For practical formula for resistance I'm using Ohm's Law (R= V/I), but I need a theoretical value as well.

5. Mar 31, 2017 #4
    A solution of salt would have a characteristic conductivity (or resistivity). The resistance of an actual cell would depend on its geometry. If you google "salt solution conductivity" I'm sure you'll find lots of information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted