Sanity check please -- Load cable swinging outward on a rotating crane

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the correct equation for the radius of rotation in terms of the given variables. The equation -m*w^2*r=m*g*tan(theta) is used to determine that r = r1+r2, which can be rewritten as r1=((m*g*tan(theta))/-m*(w^2)) - r2. The conversation also mentions that one of the variables should be eliminated from the equation. It is then determined that r2 is directly proportional to w^2, and the final equation is simplified to r1=((m*g*tan(theta))/-m*(w^2)).
Thickmax
Homework Statement
Please can my work be sanity checked? I think I'm on the right lines
Relevant Equations
See below
1624914062559.png
So I know

Fcp=-m*w^2*r

So from the equation -m*w^2*r=m*g*tan(theta)

r = r1+r2

so to rewrite

-m*(w^2)*(r1+r2)=m*g*tan(theta)
So
r1+r2=(m*g*tan(theta))/-m*(w^2)

r1=((m*g*tan(theta))/-m*(w^2)) - r2

Am I doing this nearly correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thickmax said:
Am I doing this nearly correct?
Yes, but one of your variables is not in the list of those allowed in the answer. Can you see a way to get rid of it?

Likes Thickmax
Shouldn't ##r_2## be directly proportional to ##\omega^2##?

Lnewqban said:
Shouldn't ##r_2## be directly proportional to ##\omega^2##?
No the crane rotates around its base column, the radius of rotation is ##R=r_1+r_2## not just ##r_2##.

haruspex said:
Yes, but one of your variables is not in the list of those allowed in the answer. Can you see a way to get rid of it?
I can indeed! m's are overrated! Thank you for the confirmation

Likes Delta2

What is a sanity check?

A sanity check is a basic evaluation or test performed to ensure that something is functioning as expected or to identify any potential issues or errors.

Why is a sanity check needed for a load cable swinging outward on a rotating crane?

A sanity check is needed to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the crane. It helps to identify any potential risks or errors that could lead to accidents or malfunctions.

What are the potential risks of a load cable swinging outward on a rotating crane?

The potential risks include the cable snapping or breaking, the load falling off the crane, or the crane tipping over due to an unbalanced load.

How is a sanity check performed on a load cable swinging outward on a rotating crane?

A sanity check for this scenario would involve inspecting the condition of the cable, checking for any signs of wear or damage, and ensuring that the load is properly secured and balanced on the crane. It may also involve testing the crane's rotation and load-bearing capabilities.

Who is responsible for conducting a sanity check on a load cable swinging outward on a rotating crane?

The crane operator and any other qualified personnel involved in the operation of the crane are responsible for conducting a sanity check. It is important to follow safety protocols and regulations to ensure the proper functioning and safety of the crane.